With age, the human body weakens, there are more and more diseases and disorders in the work of various organs. One of the most common diseases of the elderly is constipation - a condition where bowel movement occurs with difficulty and in insufficient quantities. Problems with defecation can be in people at any age, but due to intestinal motility disorders, they most often manifest themselves with age. There are both medical and folk remedies for constipation in the elderly, and the latter are in many cases not inferior to the first.
The reasons for the appearance of constipation can be many, but experts single out one of the most characteristic features of old people - delayed peristalsis. The natural contractions of the muscles of the intestines weaken and the feces do not move towards the sphincter or do so with difficulty. In addition, due to the deterioration of the sensitivity of the anal sphincter, the patient does not feel the timely urge to defecate.
Symptoms of constipation are not limited to stool disorders, bloating and abdominal pain may occur, a feeling of intestinal overcrowding with frequent urging to the toilet, cutting, hemorrhoids often appear.
Often the causes of constipation are:
- lack of fluid in the body,
- the presence of other diseases, starting tumors in the pelvic area and ending with Parkinson’s disease,
- unhealthy diet and lack of exercise, unhealthy lifestyle,
- use of drugs that can cause constipation.
In most cases, the exact cause is revealed by a specialist who prescribes further treatment, and these are not necessarily microclysters or pills - a good doctor can advise and remedies that are effective in combating constipation, which are easy to acquire and which will not cause any harm to the body.
Choosing the treatment tactics, it is important to remember that with long-term use of laxative drugs there is a risk of getting used to the medication and in the future you cannot go to the toilet without it.
Treatment of folk remedies
Before you begin treatment at home, you need to choose what is best for an elderly person and does not harm him, because the young body is much stronger, and the reaction may be different. Do not be too zealous if you take too many laxatives - irritation of the intestines and diarrhea are possible. What means the most effective and safe for the elderly?
The brine acts as an osmotic laxative. Once in the body, the salt dilutes the stool and cleanses the intestines. It can be used in the following ways:
- In the morning, immediately after waking up, put a pinch of salt in your mouth and hold it under your tongue until it is completely absorbed, then drink a glass of warm water.
- Dilute half a teaspoon in a glass of warm water to room temperature and drink the resulting liquid in one gulp.
Also, a heated salt solution is used to cleanse the gastrointestinal tract, starting with the small intestine.
To do this, drink about a liter of warm salt water at a concentration of 1 tbsp. solilitr water, and wait for the emptying, massaging the abdomen. But this method is not recommended for older people, because the use of excessively saline water is fraught with dehydration, and insufficiently salted fluid simply absorbs in the intestine, without bringing anything but an extra burden on the kidneys and heart.
For treatment of constipation, it is better to use not simple table salt, but sea or Himalayan, which is not treated with anti-adhesion chemicals.
It is worth drinking more water only if the disease is caused by a lack of fluid in the body, if the reason is different - water treatment is not recommended. How to properly use water?
- Well the following method helps to fill the lack of fluid: in the morning on an empty stomach two glasses of cold water are drunk, in the evening - two glasses of warm water.
- The water, acidified with lemon juice, stimulates peristalsis, therefore, having drunk a glass of warm water with the addition of lemon juice in the morning, you can cope with a slight constipation.
Soda is also among the popular laxatives, which normalizes the acid-base balance in the intestines and helps to promote fecal masses, in addition, alleviates such an unpleasant symptom as abdominal distension. But it is worth remembering that soda greatly reduces the acidity of the stomach, and often it is harmful to use it.
- The simplest recipe is a teaspoon of soda for a quarter cup of water. It is better to drink this solution in the morning, on an empty stomach.
- To improve absorption, you can replace the water with a glass of warm milk.
- Another, more complicated recipe: for half a teaspoon of soda you need to take two spoons of apple cider vinegar and a glass of water. After extinguishing the soda with vinegar, the resulting foam is dissolved in water, after which it is diluted with a tablespoon of this solution with another glass of water. For greater effectiveness, you can add some salt.
Lemon, Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey and Vitamin C
Lemon is a long-known laxative that well stimulates intestinal peristalsis, strengthens the whole body, and in combination with honey is not only useful, but also a tasty remedy, not limited to constipation treatment, because honey is an indispensable immune-restoring remedy.
This mixture can be used not only to normalize the chair, but also simply to improve well-being.
To prepare a laxative against constipation of these components, you need to take:
- tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar,
- a tablespoon of honey, which, if necessary, can be replaced with maple syrup,
- a glass of warm water.
Having added salt or sugar, we drink the resulting drink in the morning, on an empty stomach, or at bedtime, also on an empty stomach.
If vinegar is used instead of lemon, you can enrich the drink with vitamin C by adding half a tablet of ascorbic acid. By itself, this vitamin also treats constipation, so you can take it a few grams per day to normalize stools. But with increased acidity of the stomach, this drug is contraindicated.
Affordable product that not only copes with constipation, but also has a pleasant taste, it is difficult to meet a person who does not like dried fruit.
Due to the sorbitol contained in them, the stool softens and pressure on the sphincter increases. However, if there are too many of them, it is fraught with diarrhea and excessive gas, leading to bloating.
There are several recipes for constipation for the elderly based on them:
- 100 gr. raisins, 100 gr. prunes, the same amount of senna grass and a tablespoon of vegetable oil scroll through a meat grinder together. The resulting paste is taken before bedtime, one teaspoon, with plenty of water.
- Two prunes in the morning and two in the evening will gently stimulate the proper functioning of the intestines, without causing flatulence and diarrhea.
- Instead of tea, you can drink the compote of well-cooked dried fruit with pulp in unlimited quantities.
Fiber is necessary for the normal functioning of the intestines, and for patients with constipation, it is indispensable. Fiber is able to retain moisture, which softens the feces, and its volume increases, and the texture becomes softer, which facilitates emptying. In order to enrich the body with fiber, it is necessary to use a sufficient amount of cereal porridge, bran, flax seeds are well suited.
- Bran can be taken by simply adding them to food. A day is enough 2-3 tablespoons of bran, which will be invisible in cereals, soups, dairy noodles.If this method is not suitable, bran is diluted in warm water and the resulting mass is drunk before meals.
- A teaspoon of flaxseeds is brewed with boiling water and left to cool for a few hours. The resulting infusion is drunk along with the seeds. It is undesirable to use more than two tablespoons of flax per day.
- Flax paste has a double effect. Per 100 grams of chopped flax seeds is taken the same amount of vegetable oil, the mixture is thoroughly mixed and added to food or taken in the morning on an empty stomach in a teaspoon.
If the above remedies against constipation can be questionable, then the oils in the fight against this ailment have been used for centuries. Oil envelops the intestinal wall, improving its permeability. Breaks in this treatment of constipation are required, otherwise the opposite effect may occur.
- Castor oil has a fairly strong laxative effect, and is usually taken at bedtime or half an hour before meals. Usually enough 5 grams to provide the desired effect, but in some cases, the dosage has to be increased to 10-15 grams. Do not take it for more than three days in a row. It has a very unpleasant taste, which can be neutralized by diluting the butter with milk, or simply buying it in the form of capsules.
- Sunflower, pumpkin and olive oil also normalize stools. To do this, it is enough to take in the morning on an empty stomach one tablespoon of any of these oils. The effect of such mild treatment will appear no earlier than a month later, but it will not cause addiction and diarrhea.
- Vaseline oil does not refer to oils in the full sense, but it is among the laxatives for constipation. Older patients are advised to take no more than 2 teaspoons of this oil, as it impairs the absorption of nutrients in the intestine. Like vegetable oils, they drink it in the morning on an empty stomach, but it acts faster and does not require long-term use.
- A teaspoon of olive oil, diluted with a glass of warm milk, will not only help empty the intestines, but also have a positive effect on the work of the liver and gall bladder. This mixture is also consumed after waking up on an empty stomach.
- A mixture of 100 grams of any oil and 100 grams of kefir will help to quickly cope with episodic constipation.
Herbs and Fees
Herbal medicine in the treatment of constipation also has a place to be. Good for constipation infusion of mountain ash. Berries should be mixed with sugar and left for a month, then the resulting syrup is diluted with alcohol or water, if alcohol is contraindicated, in proportions of 0.5 liters of syrup - 30 milligrams of alcohol and drink gradually in the morning on an empty stomach.
No less effective burdock root. It is necessary to take 10 grams of fresh burdock roots and pour 300 milliliters of boiling water over them, let them stand and drink 3 times a day before meals.
Decoction of senna grass for the night adjusts the chair in the morning, but is not recommended for long-term use.
There are many herbs that can cure constipation, but they can have contraindications and have serious side effects, so it is better to consult a herbalist before such treatment.
Possible causes of constipation in the elderly
With age, all body functions decline. Violated hormonal metabolism. The influence of the autonomic nervous system, the one responsible for the functioning of the internal organs, is weakened.
Innervation (nerve regulation) of different intestinal sections worsens. Somewhere food lingers longer, somewhere passes faster. The interaction between the segments of the gastrointestinal tract becomes less consistent.
Aging of the body leads to the gradual extinction of the secretion of the internal glands. Over time, the walls of the mucous membranes of the stomach and intestines become thinner. Their main function weakens, leading to problems with defecation.
The longer a person lives, the more damage accumulates in his body.In old age, most people have chronic illnesses. For this reason, they are forced to take various medications, against the background of which the defeat of the digestive tract develops. Delay of the chair can be a consequence of the disease itself.
Aging of the musculoskeletal system inevitably leads to a decrease in motor activity. With a passive lifestyle, the tone of all muscles, including those that are responsible for the gastrointestinal tract, decreases. Intestinal atony contributes to the retention of feces and an increase in constipation
Not the last role is played by the power system. People who have dentures, prefer vegetables and fruits digestible food that can not properly stimulate the intestines. It has been proven that those who manage to preserve almost all of their teeth by the age of old are less likely to suffer from constipation.
Types of laxatives
If you have problems with defecation, first of all, you should correct the diet and start treating the underlying disease. Laxatives are used as a necessary measure to help prevent intoxication of the body.
Depending on the nature of the action, medications are divided into several groups.
The principle of action of irritating drugs is to stimulate the nerve endings of the intestinal walls. Its active muscle contractions contribute to pushing through the contents.
This is a fairly extensive group of medicines, which includes drugs of various forms: drops, tablets, suppositories, etc. Among them are distinguished products of natural origin (preparations of senna, castor oil) and chemical derivatives (based on sodium picosulfate).
Annoying medicines are often used in the elderly. They have a quick effect, promote bowel emptying over the next few hours. Effective with atony and lazy bowel syndrome.
The peculiarity of this group of drugs is that they can be addictive. With frequent use of such drugs, the intestinal walls lose their ability to respond to stimuli. These drugs are used, as a last resort, and not on a regular basis.
Irritant drugs are contraindicated in violation of the integrity of the gastrointestinal mucosa. In the presence of ulcers, erosion, bleeding, cracks.
They also have side effects. Cause intestinal pain, bloating, rumbling.
Intestinal fillers are natural (flax seeds, agar-agar) or synthetic (methylcellulose) origin. By themselves, they are not digested and assimilated. Swell under the action of water, increasing the volume of the contents of the intestines. The intestinal walls are stretched and then contract, trying to push the food lump.
These tools are the safest, as they are not absorbed and do not cause addiction. They act slowly during the first day.
Such drugs are not effective in reducing the tone of the intestinal muscles, so they are rarely prescribed for the elderly. Instead of effect, they can cause a feeling of fullness, gas, intestinal colic. Fillers are contraindicated in the presence of inflammatory diseases of the intestinal mucosa.
Prebiotics with a laxative effect
Prebiotics are the most delicate products of natural origin. They are composed of fruit oligosahara (inulin, lactulose), which begin to digest only in the lower intestinal tract.
Fermentation of plant substances results in the release of organic acids, which stimulate the nerve endings of the mucous membrane of the intestinal tube. Simple components resulting from the digestion of oligosaccharides become the nutritional basis for beneficial bacteria.
Thus, prebiotics restore the balance of microorganisms, eliminate the effects of dysbiosis, have a healing effect.
These drugs are not designed for single use. They are prescribed by the course.Improvement is noted only 3-4 days after ingestion. Despite the slow action, prebiotics give lasting results.
They practically do not cause side effects. The first three days of admission go unnoticed. Subsequently, increased gas formation may occur.
Osmotic laxatives are based on artificial or natural salt. Drugs prevent the absorption of water in the intestines. Liquid accumulates in places of stagnation of fecal masses. Under the influence of water, food debris softens and is easily evacuated.
These drugs are not addictive, so they can be prescribed for a long time, but over time they can provoke dehydration, so they are always taken with large amounts of water.
Osmotic laxatives cause multiple stools. Most fully clean the intestines.
Contraindications to taking medication is ulceration of the mucous membrane. As side effects may occur: nausea, vomiting, acute intestinal pain, flatulence.
If the situation does not require an immediate response, you can try popular laxatives before using pharmaceutical drugs:
- every day before each meal you need to drink a teaspoon of olive or linseed vegetable oil,
- 100 ml of boiling water should insist a teaspoon of milled flaxseed, cool the mixture to drink every day before going to bed,
- squeeze fresh juice from pumpkin and carrot, mix in a ratio of 1: 1, drink a drink twice a day, a glass in the morning before meals and in the evening before going to bed,
- try sprinkling food with two tablespoons of dried bran during breakfast and lunch,
- against constipation helps a glass of kefir with a spoonful of vegetable oil, drunk before bedtime.
Traditional medicine is used to restore normal stool. If there is no improvement after a week, you should change tactics.
For the elderly with diabetes
Diabetes is an insidious disease affecting all body systems. With a high content of sugar in the blood, degeneration of the nerve endings that regulate intestinal activity occurs. In this situation, the digestive tract organs begin to perceive worse the signal coming from the brain.
To get rid of constipation, you need to act directly - put the stimulus where it will have an effect. Medicinal suppositories and prebiotics are considered the best drugs for diabetics.
The first directly stimulate the receptors of the rectum, quickly causing the urge to defecate. The latter work as an irritant and filler. During fermentation, prebiotics secrete acid, which is not only an activator of the growth of beneficial microflora, but also directly affects the nerve endings of the intestinal lining.
Despite some preconceptions, prebiotics based on oligosaccharides (Duphalac, Lactulose) in normal dosage do not harm diabetes. But saline laxatives are allowed to use only as a last resort, since they can provoke dehydration, which is highly undesirable for this disease.
For bed patients
Constipation is a significant problem for bedridden patients. It requires a delicate decision. A long delay in feces leads to poisoning of the body. At the same time, the use of fast funds is unacceptable, since they can cause additional discomfort in the patient.
For bedridden patients choose slow-acting drugs, the same prebiotics that have a therapeutic effect and at the same time remove the decomposition products of ammonia. And osmotic laxatives, designed for long-term use, for example, macrogol preparations (Forlax).
The latter does not cause a violent reaction. The discharge of feces begins on the second day. Macrogol laxatives facilitate bowel movement and can be taken for 3 months.
In the postoperative period
After the operation directly on the intestines, the patient receives nutrition through a vein. Organs of the digestive tract for better healing should remain at rest.
Subsequently, a diet designed to restore motor skills. For better discharge of feces, complex preparations of the type Mukofalk are prescribed.
The composition of this tool includes the plantain seed shells, salts and auxiliary substances. The laxative retains water in the intestines, softens the feces, stimulates the nerve endings and promotes regular gentle emptying.
What helps with constipation?
Due to the nature of the action, strong laxatives for constipation should be used only as directed by a physician. First of all, bran, flax flour, and herbal preparations based on psyllium seed are tried.
If no effect is observed, you can use irritating drugs from senna leaves. A strong stimulating effect has the drug Bisacodil, which directly affects the receptors of the intestine, rectal suppositories with glycerin and microclysters (Microlax). If none of the listed remedies helps, saline laxatives (Guttalaks) are prescribed.
Among the means used by the elderly, the following drugs show the greatest effectiveness:
- Glycerin candles,
Glycerin candles contain glycerol - a component of irritant and osmotic action. It retains fluid in the intestinal lumen, softens the feces and causes the urge to defecate. Candles are applied one-time. Contraindicated in anal fissures, inflammation, intestinal bleeding, tumors of the rectum. May cause itching, burning and allergic reactions.
Senade - preparation based on senna leaf extract. It irritates the intestinal receptors, stimulates peristalsis. The drug is contraindicated in intestinal obstruction, spasms, gastrointestinal bleeding, pain in the abdomen of unknown origin. May cause addiction, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
Bisacodyl - available in the form of tablets and candles. The drug reduces the absorption of fluid in the digestive tract, irritates the walls of the rectum. Contraindicated in intestinal polyps, violation of water-salt balance. May cause colicky abdominal pain, bloating, intestinal atony.
Mukofalk - contains plant-salt complex. Stimulates peristalsis, softens feces. Contraindicated in diabetes, obstruction, intestinal bleeding, electrolyte imbalance. In the first days of admission sometimes causes increased gas formation.
Microlax - contains glycerol and sodium salts. Microclysm promotes the accumulation of water in the intestinal lumen, dilutes the feces, facilitates defecation. Acts fast. Designed for single use. Contraindicated in patients with sensitivity to the components of the drug. During treatment, it can cause discomfort and burning sensation.
Choosing laxatives in old age should be cautious. It is imperative that you take into account the general condition and do not forget to consult with your doctor about the possible joint use of certain drugs with your essential medicines.
Why is the chair broken in old age?
One of the main causes of stool impairment at any age is inadequate fluid intake. In elderly patients, the problem is exacerbated by natural aging processes, as a result of which the amount of water in the body decreases from 75% to 55%. This indicator may be even lower if a person suffers from endocrine disorders (diabetes, adrenal gland diseases, thyroid abnormalities) or kidney diseases. Many older people do not have a physiological need for fluid intake, so its daily volume is reduced to 40-50% of the age norm.
15 causes of constipation
Other factors that contribute to constipation in people over 50 years old include:
- diseases of the musculoskeletal system, limiting the level of mobility of the patient,
- unstable emotional state
- low content of coarse plant fiber in the diet,
- taking medications that can cause stool impairment (side effects are detailed in the instructions for the drug),
- pathologies of the digestive system (gastritis, colitis, peptic ulcer, Crohn's disease).
Poor nutrition is one of the reasons.
Diseases accompanied by impaired neuromuscular transmission may also be accompanied by constipation, so the diagnostic complex for this problem may include consulting a neurologist or a surgeon.
What medicine to choose?
In order to choose the right laxative drug suitable for an elderly person, it is necessary to know how they differ and which groups of drugs are presented in this pharmacological category.
Choosing the right medication
Table. Types of laxative drugs.
Constipation with intestinal colitis
Chronic colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease. The cause of the occurrence is helminthic invasion, malnutrition, colon cancer. The disease causes a violation of peristalsis of the colon, fluid absorption, severe pain when emptying the bowel.
A disease occurs on the background of acute intestinal infections. Accompanied by intoxication and inflammatory processes. The consequence of colitis is a violation of the bowel movement.
Elderly people experience general malaise, bloating, sharp pain in the abdomen. When colitis in the advanced stage is characterized by the appearance of blood discharge from the anus, false urge to defecate, alternating constipation and diarrhea.
Treatment of constipation is worth starting with a review of nutrition. The menu of the elderly rarely contains products of plant origin. Preference is given to cereals, pasta dishes and potatoes. Such food is not suitable for proper functioning of the digestive system.
Meals should be balanced. In adults who have problems with delayed stool, the menu should include products with fiber content, pectins, coarse fibers. These include:
- Vegetable oil.
- Bean cultures.
- Grain bread.
- Dairy products.
- Vegetables: zucchini, cabbage, beets, onions.
- Fruits: apples, tangerines, peaches, grapes.
- Dried fruits: prunes, figs, dried apricots.
The following products are not allowed during constipation:
- Sweet: sweets, cakes, cakes, pastries.
- Fried, salty dishes.
- Carbonated drinks.
- Fruits, vegetables, causing flatulence and bloating.
Preparations of this type affect the receptors of the colon, enhancing peristalsis, and the intestine is emptied. The result of the reception occurs within 5-10 hours. Of all the groups represented, these are the fastest. Laxatives of this group are used for obstipatsii. Drug release form: capsules, tablets or drops:
Regulux is an irritant type of medicine. Cheap drops, the average price of 260 rubles. Contact type laxative, the active substance is activated in the colon. Stimulates the mucous membrane, enhances the work of the intestinal walls. Increases the amount of fecal, gently displays them.
Natural vegetable and oils of chemical origin are also irritating agents. They contribute to the rapid removal of the chair. From the frequent use of such funds, the intestine stops responding to stimuli. For prevention, elderly people are advised to take one spoonful of oil on an empty stomach, once a week.
Eliminate the cause
Osmotic drugs for each person act differently. The action can begin in 2 hours, in some cases in a day. The benefits of drugs in eliminating the source of constipation.
Softening fecal masses, increase the pressure in the intestine.Prolonged use of osmotic drugs does not lead to addiction. But these drugs lead to imbalance, can cause dehydration.
Bulk drugs (fillers)
This category includes drugs of natural origin. Fill with liquid, swell and soften the fecal mass. Easily absorbed by the body. The action comes after 8 hours, sometimes the process takes up to 2-3 days. The main part of the group of medicines are dietary supplements, many of which are produced by the Russian company Evalar.
An effective remedy for constipation is Fitolax chewing lozenges. The composition of this tool includes: apricot pulp, senna leaf and extract, plantain leaf, dill fruit.
Instructions for use indicates that the leaf senna contribute to the regular emptying of the intestine, plantain extract has a laxative, anti-inflammatory effect. Drink 2 lozenges. If the chair has not improved, increase to 4.
The combination of drugs includes several active ingredients. The action is aimed at solving the problem in a complex. For older people, this type of medicine will be the best.
The most popular medicine is Microlax. Suitable for adults and children. Due to the microcapsules at the tip is convenient to dispense. Thanks to its sorbitol and sodium salts, it acts gently and quickly lightens the intestines.
A separate form of laxative effects is candles. Discharged with chronic postipation. With proper use, you can do without addiction. Often, doctors recommend the use of children's candles, they are practically not absorbed into the bloodstream, and are allowed to be used for rectal cracks and bleeding. There are three groups of candles:
- Glycerin. High-speed and safe candles. Stimulate peristalsis, irritate the intestines, lead to its emptying. Soften fecal masses, remove them without damage. Safe during pregnancy and lactation.
- Laxatives Used with hemorrhoids. The stools are diluted, but if diarrhea begins, they should be discarded. Thanks to the extract of sea buckthorn heal micro cracks in the anus, relieve inflammation.
- Gas generating. Under the action of temperature, the drug is destroyed inside the intestines, gas is released. Due to the exerted pressure, the feces are destroyed. Derived naturally.
The cheapest candles: Bisacodyl, 20 rubles for 10 candles (a pack).
Good remedies for constipation in the elderly - herbal teas and infusions. Folk remedies are advised to use in conjunction with medicines. The beauty of the infusions is that they are absolutely harmless to the body, contribute to the passage of constipation, strengthen the body, regulate the work of the gastrointestinal tract. It is worth making them from the first day of constipation.
- Broth of elderberry. Mix 50 gr. elderberry flowers and Zhoster berries. Pour out the pan, heat on the fire. Boil for 5-7 minutes, strain the drink and cool. Take a drink twice a day, 200 ml.
- A great help in constipation will be the collection of anise, fennel, licorice root and buckthorn. Grind herbs, mix with each other. One tablespoon pour a glass of boiling water, put on the fire. Cool, drink filtered broth in the morning and evening.
- In the fight against constipation will help gooseberries. Half a cup of berries pour hot water, let it brew for 15 minutes. Pour berries into the pan, cook for 7-10 minutes. Give the broth to cool, take 4 times a day for half a cup.
Preventing illness is easier than treating it. The key to a healthy stool will be proper nutrition, walking in fresh air, exercise, drinking enough fluids. A good method for prevention will be - massage the abdomen in a circular motion in a clockwise direction. And do not worry about trifles.
What is constipation?
Systematically inadequate bowel movement (defecation) is difficult - this definition is given in official medicine.. Synonyms of this problem are “constipation” and “constipation”. According to the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10), constipation is a disease, but the World Organization of Gastroenterology calls it a symptom, as it may indicate severe disruption of the digestive tract. Constipation itself, if it is not permanent, is not harmful to health. Chronic meets the following criteria:
- manifestations last more than six months, in the last 3 months there were at least 2 main symptoms,
- the chair is lumpy, hard at every 2nd or 3rd bowel movement,
- the need to push hard with every 2nd or 3rd bowel movement,
- a week of successful urge to empty the bowel less than 3,
- constant feeling of “blockade” in the rectal area in 25% of cases of defecation (during and after),
- the desire to empty the intestines even after the completed defecation in 25% of cases,
- the need for mechanical stimulation of excretion of feces in the anorectal region.
If bowel movements have not occurred for several days, this condition is defined as acute constipation, which may be promoted by obstruction of the rectum - often due to tumors or an inflammatory process.. But there are more common causes of this condition, depending on which constipation is divided into:
- alimentary - occurs when the consumption of fiber (plant fibers) is reduced, water is scarce and there is a “hungry” diet (often seen in bed patients),
- mechanical - triggered by organic changes in the intestines, injuries,
- dyskinetic - appears on the background of functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT), abnormalities of innervation (nervous regulation) of the colon, with irritable bowel syndrome, under the influence of psychosomatic factors.
Older people are more likely to have constipation, since they experience natural age-related changes in the work and condition of the digestive system. Thinning of the mucous membranes of the stomach and intestines occurs, the interaction between the segments of the gastrointestinal tract is disturbed, atony (decrease in tone) of the intestine develops. The general physical activity decreases, hormonal background changes (especially in women), which also affects the digestive tract. The situation may be affected by:
- hypothyroidism (lack of thyroid hormones),
- general muscular dystrophy (weakness),
- long-term use of certain drugs.
Treatment of constipation in the elderly
Due to natural changes in the body, stool retention may be chronic in this situation. A gastroenterologist may prescribe regular use of agents that improve peristalsis (rhythmic contractions of the intestinal walls), which promote its emptying.but rely on pills alone. Older people should find out the exact cause of constipation and take a number of additional measures (in some cases, they replace the use of drugs):
- Pay attention to the diet. Fresh (if possible) vegetables and fruits should occupy more than half of the daily plate in order to supply the body with fiber, which stimulates intestinal activity. At the same time, it is desirable to reduce the amount of bread consumed (especially from high-grade wheat flour), muffins, and pasta — they make stools stronger.
- Do not forget the fluids: dehydration of the body leads to sintering of stool retained in the colon. Drink 1-1.5 liters of pure water (if there is no heart disease), 200 ml of them are on an empty stomach to stimulate the intestines after waking up. Try to regularly enter into the menu weak broths, compotes, herbal teas, juices. Warm mineral water will also be useful. Coffee is not to be abused.
- Remember fractional nutrition: the smaller the portions, the easier the digestive tract. Frequent food intake (5-7 times) helps to stimulate the bowels. Big breaks can not be done.
- Try to eat food in a shabby form, especially if it is meat or fish, cereals.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle (with the exception of recruiting older people): try to walk daily in the fresh air, if possible, to exercise (not intense). Benefit will bring and sports, if there are no contraindications for health reasons.
Compliance with dietary requirements plays an important role in the treatment of constipation and provides half the positive result of treatment. In the presence of chronic diseases of the digestive tract, an individual diet is chosen for the patient: for example, if stool delays are accompanied by spastic pain, the dietary fiber content in the diet should be lowered. Medicines are selected by the doctor according to the specific symptoms, because they often do not solve the problem, but only facilitate the process of excretion of feces.
Cure for constipation for the elderly
Preparations designed to restore normal bowel movement may be intended for internal or local use.. The latter are candles with a laxative effect and enemas solutions, which are considered relatively safe, since they only work locally. Means for oral administration (tablets, powders, syrups) are more common, but may have a long list of contraindications and side effects. Laxative drugs for the elderly are divided into the following groups:
- Osmotic - based on salts of artificial or natural origin, have the property to draw off the liquid on themselves, which leads to the prevention of its absorption in the intestine. Due to this there is a softening of stagnant fecal masses. The advantage of such funds is the absence of addiction, but their long-term use can provoke dehydration of the body, therefore an increase in the daily volume of fluid during use is required.
- Irritant - in the composition can have natural and synthetic components, stimulate the irritation of intestinal receptors to accelerate the promotion of fecal masses. The most popular laxatives for constipation for the elderly, especially with intestinal atony, give a quick effect, but are addictive, are prohibited for long-term use.
- Detergents - able to soften fecal masses and facilitate their evacuation due to the active formation and removal of bile, which stimulates intestinal peristalsis. Based on vegetable oils or petrolatum, they require caution in the presence of diseases of the hepatobiliary system (problems with the liver, gall bladder, pancreas).
- Prebiotics - work on natural oligosaccharides (lactulose, inulin), contribute to the restoration of intestinal microflora. During the fermentation of active substances, organic acids are released that stimulate the nerve endings of the intestinal mucosa. The effect of probiotics is complex: irritating, osmotic and therapeutic. They are prescribed for long-term treatment, since they do not give immediate results, but their action is prolonged, and there are no adverse reactions from them (except for increased gas formation).
- Fillers - can be of natural origin or based on methylcellulose, swell when injected into the intestine and in contact with water. Not digested, stimulates the stretching and contraction of the walls to push the filler. Give the effect immediately, are up to 3 days. The elderly are used only in the absence of intestinal atony (when the muscles work properly) and inflammatory processes in the gastrointestinal tract.
The most common form of drugs that help with constipation in the elderly and not only are pills. Their doctors conditionally divide into drugs of immediate action, which help to quickly evacuate fecal masses, and slower, but milder. Among the tablets, only the prebiotics - Normaze, Prelax - fully belong to the latter. The rest (especially the annoying Guttalaks, Senade, osmotic Endofalc) are considered fast. The most effective laxatives for constipation in the elderly:
- Bisacodyl - irritant, works on the same substance, increases the secretion of intestinal mucus. It begins to operate after 6 hours, when taken for the night - after 8 hours. It is prohibited in case of intestinal obstruction, bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract and uterus, hemorrhoids, cystitis, spastic constipation, disorders of water-salt balance. Elderly appoint up to 1-3 tablets at the reception in the evening or half an hour before breakfast, a single dose. Be sure to drink the drug with plenty of water.
- Pikolaks - means on the basis of sodium picosulphate in the form of drops and tablets, irritant intestinal receptors. The therapeutic effect develops 6 hours after administration. The tablets are drunk in the morning or in the evening with plenty of water, the dosage is set individually. It is impossible to take the agent for more than 10 days. Picholax is well tolerated, but in the elderly it should be used only as directed by a physician.
- Lactusan - a drug that reduces the acidity of the intestines, based on lactulose syrup, is a probiotic. Available in syrup and tablets, it stimulates the growth of acidophilic bacteria. Banned with lactose deficiency, galactosemia. Older give 4-5 tablets in the morning and evening with a meal or 10 ml of syrup. Therapy is long, up to 2 weeks. In the first 3 days possible flatulence.
The fastest results are given by local laxatives: microclysters (Microlax) and rectal suppositories - they can begin to act after 5 minutes, but they work no longer than half an hour. In the presence of tumors or scars in the intestines, such agents are powerless. Suppositories may have a different composition: natural (Rektiva - on chestnut seeds) will have to use a course, and synthetic (Bisacodyl) will act faster. In chronic constipation, gas-forming candles can be prescribed - Ferrolax, Calciolax or with rhubarb extract. Most Popular:
- Sea buckthorn candles - in addition to influencing the bowel emptying process, these suppositories, which contain sea buckthorn oil, have a wound-healing and anti-inflammatory effect on the walls of the rectum and reduce pain. Used overnight, after a cleansing enema, the duration of treatment can be 7-10 days. Local adverse reactions: burning, redness, swelling of the anorectal area.
- Glycerin suppositories are prohibited in hemorrhoids, rectal fissures, inflammatory and neoplastic diseases of this organ. The oil base of the product stimulates the contraction of the intestinal walls, accelerates the movement of feces. Glycerin suppositories are used after breakfast, 1 p / day.
The treatment of constipation in the elderly is focused on the following factors:
- To normalize the consistency of fecal masses
- Aim for regular bowel release
To do this, conduct a number of activities that will relieve symptoms and establish a normal stool in the elderly. Among them are:
- Completely change the diet and lifestyle. To eliminate constipation, they activate and increase physical activity, move more. Increase the amount of fluid consumed per day and enrich their diet with foods rich in dietary fiber. If aged patients have the physical ability to exercise physical activity, then daily light gymnastics and sports will help. Not superfluous will be walks in the fresh air. If physical abilities are limited due to a state of health, ordinary massage will help, which will provoke a natural peristalsis.In the diet add the maximum amount of fresh vegetables and fruits. They are able to cope with such a disease as constipation.
- Monitor the drinking regime. Per day it is necessary to drink 1.5-2 liters of fluid. After changes in the diet of older people with constipation, along with vegetables and fruits, a large amount of dietary fiber and fiber enters the body. For their assimilation and for active work, a sufficient volume of liquid is necessary. If the volume of water consumed is insufficient, the necessary fluid will begin to be absorbed from the intestine, leading to a critical point.
- If constipation is the result of a severe or chronic disease, then the illness itself is initially eliminated. In this case, treatment with folk remedies will help, since they are aimed at relieving the symptoms of constipation, providing a mild laxative effect. These funds are well tolerated, do not carry any side effects and do not entail addiction.
All traditional medicines can be divided into three groups, dividing them according to their functionality:
- They have a softening effect on the fecal masses in the intestine.
- Reduce tissue absorption of fluid and increase secretion
- Provoke the work of peristalsis
Folk tips and recipes
All folk remedies for constipation have a mild laxative effect, unlike pharmacy drugs.
Therefore, you need to select them in a special order, since each organism perceives each component individually. You may need to use several remedies to find the right medicine.
- Many recommend in the morning on an empty stomach to drink oil. Use olive or flaxseed oil and 1 tablespoon.
- Treatment of constipation beetroot has become a common remedy among the elderly. As a tasty medicine, you can use a salad of boiled beets. It is boiled, cleaned and rubbed on a fine grater. Add a few drops of cold-pressed olive oil or linseed oil. Use as a separate dish, and as a drug three times a day in a tablespoon.
- Prepare herbal preparations. To do this, take licorice, marsh mallow, flaxseeds and fennel. A tablespoon of this collection steamed and boiled in a water bath in one glass of water. Set aside until complete cooling and filter through gauze or strainer. Add boiled water until the cup is completely filled and taken in the evening after dinner. The volume of broth at one time is 0.5 glass.
- When constipation often occurs hemorrhoids. This recipe perfectly copes with both ills. Prepare a special collection of flaxseeds, oak bark and chamomile. In a glass of water put one tablespoon of this collection. Steamed and boiled in a water bath. After cooling, it is also filtered, diluted with boiled water and taken after meals in the evening 0.5 cups at a time.
- Constipation is excellently treated with kefir and bran. It is enough to drink a glass of kefir mixed with 2 tsp. bran and this disease will recede in a short time.
- Hay grass helps a lot. It is also called the Alexandrian leaf. Its action is to strengthen the intestinal walls. To prepare a cure for constipation for the elderly, you need to pour a tablespoon of this herb with a glass of cold boiled water overnight. The morning to drink the infusion, pre-strain it. It refers to the number of potent drugs, so they start taking it with a third of a glass. Daily dosage increase to full glass.
- The treatment for constipation based on apple jam, wheat bran and pure boiled water is considered very effective. All ingredients are taken in equal proportions of 1 glass and thoroughly mixed together. Add a quarter cup of juice from the plums, mix again and shift to a clean bowl with a lid. Store the medicine in the refrigerator and take every day in the morning on an empty stomach 3-4 tbsp. spoons.
- Folk remedies such as natural vegetable juices are very helpful in constipation in the elderly. Ideally, if the vegetables were grown in their garden or summer cottage. Such juice can be made from pumpkin, carrot, beet, cucumber, onion and tomato.
It is recommended to mix several types of juices. For example, from onions and cucumbers. Or carrot with pumpkin.
Drink the juice should be immediately after its preparation, until all the nutrients and vitamins have not evaporated. The normal dosage is considered several glasses of juice throughout the day.
Few people know, but rhubarb has long been considered an excellent cure for constipation. This unpretentious plant grows in many areas along with other plants.
It has gained wide popularity among older people who treat constipation with folk remedies. But it is worth knowing that rhubarb is addictive, so you cannot use it as a medicine for a long time.
The treatment consists in providing a laxative effect on the intestines in a large amount of it. The reverse effect can give a small dosage of this healing medicine.
For cooking use the root of this plant. It takes only 2 tablespoons of the roots, which are crushed in a blender or on a fine grater.
This amount is poured over 1 cup of boiling water, infused and filtered. At bedtime, take 100 ml 1 time per week.
Flaxseeds for the elderly
Eliminating constipation folk remedies in the elderly, it is worth noting flaxseeds. It is the flour of these healing seeds that can relieve constipation and forget about problems with the stool for a long time.
It is sold in finished form, but you can cook it yourself. Purchased flax seeds are ground in a kitchen machine or in a coffee grinder to the desired consistency.
The resulting flour is added to any dish and 1 tablespoon. Such an additive will have a beneficial effect on the digestive system, especially on the intestines.
From flax seeds prepare a good decoction of constipation. It is loved by many patients and is suitable for the elderly, because it is not addictive, but it copes well with its task.
100 g of seeds is poured with 1 cup of boiling water and insisting until it is completely cooled. Take small portions before bedtime, pre-strain it.
Infusion of flaxseed
Considering the means of constipation, it is worth noting flax. It is a plant with yellow flowers growing in summer.
It is used not only to eliminate constipation, but also as an excellent treatment for poor bile flow.
This plant is not sold in a pharmacy among other herbs, but it can be harvested on its own and dried. Gather the plant in dry weather during its flowering period.
Enough 1 tablespoon pour boiling water and allow time to infuse. Take several times a day no more than 100 ml of infusion. Available toxins in the plant, do not allow to exceed the course of treatment for constipation, more than a week.
Dried fruit mixes
An effective remedy for constipation is a mixture of dried fruit. As ingredients use dried apricots, prunes and figs. All products are mixed together and crushed into a homogeneous mass.
Add leaves of the hay, and continue grinding. Against prolonged and prolonged constipation, you can add an entire pack of this herb. Honey and ¼ lemon are added to the resulting mass.
Treatment consists of taking a medicine of 0.5 tsp on an empty stomach in the morning. A particular feature is the possible abdominal cramps. If they become unbearable, hay is completely excluded from the recipe.
According to its useful composition and characteristic signs of efficiency, flaxseed oil is considered the best compared to other folk remedies for constipation.
It is rich in many vitamins and beneficial elements and copes not only with constipation, but also with other diseases of the digestive system.This is flatulence, heartburn, colitis, increased gas and bloating.
Perfectly boosts the immune system and starts the metabolism. It is added to natural yogurt or to yogurt. From constipation take 2 teaspoons before bedtime.
If you are worried about chronic constipation, the mixture is taken in the morning on an empty stomach.
It has a good lubricating function in the intestines, preventing and preventing further occurrence of constipation. You can also add the drug in the dish.
The most effective method of using flax oil for constipation is mixing it with foods rich in calcium.
Prepare the following medicine: take the shells from 3 eggs and wash well under running water. Using a coffee grinder, grind them to a powder. Add butter and lemon juice. Use 1 time per day.
With constipation often use various medicinal herbs. These medicinal plants provide effective treatment in the form of decoctions and infusions. They have no side effects, which means they have almost no contraindications.
- Dandelion. Use the root of this plant, finely chop and pour cold water. Insist all night, then filter and take small sips before eating.
- Prepare a collection of yarrow, nettle and buckthorn. Steam a tablespoon with a glass of boiling water. Take before bedtime 100 ml.
- Burdock burdock. Prepare a special infusion of seeds of 100 g and the same amount of water. Brewed in a water bath for 30 minutes, then removed and insisted a few more hours. Then filter well and drink at one time.
- Elderberry leaves. Preparing a decoction of the leaves with the addition of honey. Leaflets are better to take young. Prepare a delicious tea, which is taken after meals. Before making tea, carefully wash each sheet under running water, then pour over boiling water.
Using folk remedies, you can very easily and quickly cure constipation in the elderly. It is enough to choose a suitable drug for each person.
A wide variety of recipes allows you to choose the medicine individually and for every taste. But before each use it is necessary to consult a doctor.
If popular methods did not help
Currently, many drugs have been developed in pharmacology to treat problems with defecation. Some of them have an irritating effect on the intestines, some are effective due to their osmotic qualities, others, prebiotics, improve the general condition of the gastrointestinal tract, the fourth, like cellulose, play the role of fillers. And, of course, they are available in different forms.
Candles, or suppositories, are inserted rectally, usually once a day before breakfast. They lubricate the mucous membrane of the rectum, facilitating the excretion of feces, and have an irritating effect, stimulating defecation. Glycerol and its glycerin-based analogues, Bisacodyl, and gas-generating candles, such as Ferrolax, are most commonly found in pharmacies.
Tablets and solutions
Most often it is an annoying remedy. These include Guttalaks, Pikolaks, Bisacodil. Different kinds of salts belong to osmotic laxatives: bertolet salt, Karlovy Vary and bitter salt. Agents, such as agar-agar and pure fiber, like salts, dissolve in water before use. The method of application depends on the specific drug.
This is a special group of products that are usually produced in capsules and contain live bacteria that, during the course of application, colonize the intestines and improve its performance. Ineffective for episodic constipation, but have a beneficial effect in chronic constipation, taken a long course. This group includes Bifiform, Lactis and their analogues.
If, in terms of folk remedies, you can still try to be treated on your own, turning to medicines, you should definitely consult with your doctor in order to avoid the negative effects of self-treatment.
Prevention of constipation in old age
In order to avoid impaired bowel movements with age, it is first and foremost important to monitor the nutrition and work of the intestines. First of all, diet is important: you should eliminate alcohol, limit the consumption of hard meat, such as pork and beef, and generally not allow an excess of protein in the diet, which is hard to digest and makes feces dry and hard. It is better not to abuse fixing drinks like strong tea. But fiber-rich cereals, fruits and juices can be consumed as before.
In order not to miss the urge to defecate, it is best to accustom yourself to emptying at a given time, and in this case, the biological rhythms of the body adapt to the prescribed mode. The intestine will literally work like a clock. Also for the elderly is recommended the most physiological posture during a bowel movement - an eagle posture. Sitting on a haunches, and not relaxed sitting on the toilet, as on a chair, a person straightens the rectum, not allowing feces to linger in its folds, and facilitates the release of waste. With weakened muscles, some will find it easier to defecate lying down, bending the legs at the knees.
Good effect gives a massage to the abdomen. Circular strokes in a clockwise direction in the navel area stimulate intestinal peristalsis.
And, of course, do not forget about maintaining the overall tone. Light exercise, such as jogging, breathing exercises, rotating hula hoop, have a positive effect on all muscles, including the smooth muscles of the intestine.
The presence of such symptoms as:
- smell from the mouth
- stomach ache
- nausea, vomiting
- increased gas formation (flatulence)
If you have at least 2 of these symptoms, then this indicates a developing
gastritis or gastric ulcer.
These diseases are dangerous by the development of serious complications (penetration, gastric bleeding, etc.), many of which can lead to
to the end Treatment must begin now.
Read the article about how a woman got rid of these symptoms by defeating their main cause. Read the material ...
People in old age have to deal with such a problem as constipation much more often than young people or children. Moreover, elimination of constipation is much more difficult for an elderly person. In old age, enemas and laxatives quickly become addictive in the body, which can lead to serious consequences.
Therefore, specialists are strongly advised to take care of the digestive system and the gastrointestinal tract in advance, rather than waiting for constipation to become a permanent problem that can only be solved with the help of third-party intervention. But still, if you could not avoid constipation, then it is necessary to eliminate and treat it. A good option to solve the problem will be folk remedies for constipation in the elderly.
One of the best mixes for constipation.
Ingredients to be used for cooking:
- Fresh floral honey - 0.5 liters.
- Light raisins, dried apricots, chopped walnuts, prunes - 1 glass each.
- Seeds of senna and flax - 1/3 cup.
First you need to thoroughly mix nuts, honey, prunes, raisins and dried apricots, and then add flax and hay. The mixture that turned out should be stored in the refrigerator.
Application: in the morning on an empty stomach drink 2 cups of chilled water, after 30 minutes, take 1 tbsp. the mixture. It is necessary to continue the treatment, until the port is over the entire mixture, then a 30-day break. If there is a need then the reception can be repeated.
Flax seeds from constipation in the elderly
Flax flour helps to eliminate constipation in the elderly, so it is recommended to always keep it close at hand. Flour is sold in stores specializing in healthy nutrition, but you can cook it yourself. To do this, you need to purchase plant seeds in a pharmacy and grind with a coffee grinder.Flax normalizes intestinal activity. It is best to add flax flour 1 tablespoon to each dish.
You can make a decoction of flax. The tool is also effective and not addictive. To prepare the broth, you need to brew 100 grams of seeds in a glass of boiling water, insist until complete cooling, strain and take before bedtime.
Lyonian for the treatment of constipation
In the summer, especially in the villages, you can often see a light yellow flower called a flaxen. This plant has a very strong laxative effect and has long been used not only to eliminate constipation, but also as a choleretic drug. Buy flax in the pharmacy will not succeed, because This plant is not commercially available, so you need to harvest it yourself in advance.
The process of harvesting: Cut the plant during the period when it blooms. Must not be rainy weather.
Preparation: On a glass of boiling water brewed 1 tablespoon of the plant. Then you need to let it brew for 10-15 minutes.
Reception: Drink the infusion can be 2 times a day no more than 100 grams per dose. The course of treatment should not exceed 10 days, because flax contains toxins that can harm the body.
Treatment for constipation with rhubarb
Most summer residents have rhubarb growing on the plot. This plant has a laxative effect. But it is absolutely impossible to use it for the treatment of constipation for a long time, because very addictive. You also need to carefully treat the dosage, because A small amount of the plant is strengthened, and on the contrary, reception in large volumes is weak.
In order to eliminate constipation with the help of this plant you need to take 2 tablespoons of chopped roots and brew in one glass of boiling water. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Take 100 grams before bedtime. Do not drink more than 1 time in 7 days.
Herbs with laxative action
- Immortelle flowers (tsmin) - 20 grams.
- Three-leaf watch (leaves) - 15 grams.
- Peppermint - 10 grams.
- Coriander - 5 grams.
- Boiling water - 1 cup.
First you need to prepare a collection, mixing all the ingredients except water. Then take 5 grams of the mixture and pour boiling water. Insist 10-15 minutes, strain and take three times a day, 100 grams 20 minutes before meals.
Treatment with vegetable juices
What if there is no opportunity to get to the pharmacy, but the necessary components are not? Almost every elderly person has a summer cottage where vegetables grow. The combination of the juices of some plants will help to get rid of constipation without much difficulty.
- Carrot and pumpkin juice mixed in equal proportions. Take at least 2 times a day for 1 glass per reception.
- Helps to eliminate constipation mixture of juices from beets, cucumbers and carrots.
- Onion and cucumber juice have a good laxative effect.
- You can get rid of constipation by mixing cucumber, onion and tomato juices.
Important: Before you start taking laxatives for constipation for the elderly, it is recommended to be examined in order to correctly identify the cause of the complication. It is strongly not recommended to engage in self-treatment without consultation.
List of foods that increase bowel contraction
Due to the fact that the intestines of people in old age works with some features, then the diet may not bring the desired result, then nevertheless it must be observed so that peristalsis does not weaken.
- Raw, stewed and boiled vegetables.
- More fruit.
- Berry fruits.
- Sugar-free water and drinks chilled.
- Natural honey. It is best to apply floral.
- Pork lard in salted form.
- Vegetable and olive oil.
- Any cereals, except rice and semolina, cooked in water and dressed with butter.
- Soups cooked with meat broth with the addition of vegetables and cereals.
- Dairy products with low fat content.
- Not fresh bread baked from rye.
- White varieties of fish and poultry meat.
During constipation it is not recommended to eat food hot. Do not add a large amount of salt in the dishes, they should be salted in moderation. Take food in small portions so that she has time to digest herself in the body. It is advisable to observe the rule "chew 33 times" carefully.
Products that have a negative effect on peristalsis
There is a list of products that are categorically forbidden to take often or in large quantities, because they weaken intestinal motility.
- Potato root vegetables.
- Berry and fruit crops that have an astringent effect.
- Beans in any form.
- Strongly brewed coffee and tea.
- Bakery products.
Causes of constipation
- Over time, the motility of the gastrointestinal tract weakens, which is the result of difficulty exiting the feces.
- The anal sphincter becomes less sensitive and the urge to the toilet becomes less pronounced. These are the two main reasons why older people suffer from constipation.
- The same reason for constipation can be the use of fluids in insufficient for the body.
- Foods low in fiber.
- Complete absence or too little physical exertion.
- Frequent use of medical drugs.
- In rare cases, constipation can occur with diseases:
- Diseases of a psychological nature.
Use of folk remedies for constipation in older people is better under the supervision of a doctor, because there may be complications of various kinds, which after cannot be corrected.
Causes of female constipation
As a rule, elderly women develop constipation 2 times more often than men of the same age. The main reason is the same: impaired activity of intestinal motility, but in addition to general causes, there are a number of consequences that lead to constipation in older women, these include:
- More than 3 pregnancies.
- Injuries received during childbirth.
- After birth, the pelvic floor weakens, which also further leads to constipation.
- Menopause, accompanied by ovarian hypofunction.
- Any thyroid disease.
Types of constipation in an elderly person
Violation of the gastrointestinal tract, resulting in having to deal with constipation, in the elderly divided into several types. Treatment for each type is selected individually.
- Chronic defecation. In some cases, it may be enough to change your lifestyle, move more, take the right food, containing more dietary fiber. But it is not uncommon that the problem emptying passes without symptoms, then it is necessary to undergo a full examination in order to identify the cause.
- Problems with emptying people who are not able to walk on their own. The main cause of constipation in these patients is the lack of physical exertion, inactivity. Also, older people in this state are forced to take drugs of strong action, which also leads to constipation. In this case, the problem is eliminated by increasing physical exertion, mobility (third-party assistance is needed) and a properly balanced diet.
- Regular constipation for a long time. On average, 55% of old people suffer from long-term constipation. There are many reasons why this type of constipation can occur. But the main ones are the lack of dietary fiber intake, sclerosis, high blood sugar levels, frequent use of drugs with a diuretic and laxative effect in large quantities. Treatment for this type is prescribed only after a comprehensive examination, when the exact cause of constipation is established.
- Constipation persistent nature. This species is the most dangerous to health, becausethe process of intoxication of a chronic nature begins to develop. The main reason for persistent constipation is a change in the activity of any internal organ. This species should be treated as early as possible and comprehensively, i.e. Do not use only one option with laxative effects. There are folk laxatives that come in different forms. After prior consultation with a specialist, you should select a number of recipes that should be used to treat constipation.
- Constipation With this type of constipation, self-emptying of the intestines is practically impossible. A person feels a strong discomfort, stabbing pain in the abdomen, heaviness, bloating and loses appetite. The main reason for becoming excessive use of funds with a laxative effect. For treatment, you just need to stop taking such drugs, do physical exercises, massage the abdomen and solve the problem. If help from outside is not used for emptying, then you need to contact a specialist and jointly select a comprehensive treatment.
It is necessary to treat constipation, but you should very carefully select the method of treatment and the recipe, as well as the dosage, the body of older people is more prone to negative influence from the outside. Before treatment, consult a specialist.
Published: March 2, 2016 at 13:51
Older people often complain of feeling unwell. The body is weakened, and the organs are not functioning correctly. Many have a problem like constipation. Few people want to sit for hours to get to see a doctor. Therefore, some people prefer to be treated at home.
When there is a violation of defecation should pay attention to folk remedies for constipation in the elderly. During the existence of man. It was invented a huge number of ways to cope with it. Before being engaged in recovery procedures, you should understand what caused the delay in the chair? If symptoms of a serious illness appear, it is better to seek help from a healthcare professional, as in such a situation, self-treatment can only cause a complication.
After the diagnosis and consultation with a doctor, it will be possible to determine the herbs and tinctures that will help in such a delicate situation. When constipation occurs, home treatment for the elderly can be combined with drug therapy, but it must be remembered that medications should not be contraindicated.
Over the centuries, an entire arsenal of all sorts of recipes has been compiled that allow the treatment of constipation in the elderly at home. Unfortunately, some of them are not suitable for the senile organism. In addition, some funds may cause side effects or a backlash.
Since it is best to quickly treat constipation at home in older people, you must use the following recipes:
- An excellent folk remedy is pickled sauerkraut. It has a laxative effect. Similar home remedies for constipation in the elderly are recommended to be taken on a full stomach, after half an hour after the meal,
- Dried fruits. To eliminate the delayed emptying, it is necessary to prepare a mixture of dried fruits, which is prepared quite simply. Dried apricots, raisins, dogrose, figs and prunes are taken in the same volume. All this is ground in a meat grinder and mixed in a blender. For the greater benefit, folk remedies from dried fruit from constipation are better for older people to use in the early morning 1 spoonful,
- Another excellent laxative folk remedy for constipation for the elderly is prepared at home simply and quickly. Beet or cranberry is taken and juice is squeezed. Squeezed drink not only saves from defecation disorders, but also saves meteorism and stomach cramps,
- Low-fat kefir also copes with a delicate problem that has appeared.It is necessary to add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to one cup of kefir. The resulting drink is consumed one hour before bedtime,
- Some folk laxatives are used to treat constipation as well as to eliminate chronic disruption of emptying in younger people. Such products include aloe juice. Enough before meals to drink one tablespoon of juice,
- Folk remedies against constipation in elderly patients, can be used for prophylactic purposes. Enough on an empty stomach, early in the morning to drink two 150 milliliters of water, diluted with baking soda.
If constipation has appeared in the elderly, treatment has begun, but folk laxatives do not help, you should immediately seek help from specialists. Otherwise, the patient’s condition may deteriorate greatly, and this requires additional efforts and funds. In some cases, from home constipation will only help homeopathic treatment, and in some cases - medication. It all depends on the diagnosis.
Treatment of constipation in the elderly at home
Some older people like to be treated with tinctures prepared by themselves at home. In our time, a huge number of recipes have been invented and tested, it remains only to choose something more suitable. Most often, old men use the following tinctures:
- Infusion of red rowan berries. Such folk laxatives for constipation for an elderly person is not difficult to prepare. It is best to take advantage of ripened fruits that have been in the cold. Pour the berries in the bottle and pour sugar on top. Tie up with a cloth. Then put it on a warm, sunlit place. When the sugar melts, syrup will appear. Insist on the future of medication should be about 4 weeks. After the appearance of the syrup, you need to squeeze and strain the berries. At 0.5 liters of syrup is added 25 grams of alcohol. Tincture of constipation to take 1 glass before breakfast.
- Constipation in the elderly can be eliminated in various ways, but treatment with traditional and homeopathic remedies is more pleasant. Another excellent infusion is flaxseed. For cooking you will need a teaspoon of flaxseed and one cup of boiled water. Infusion infusion need for 5 hours, pre-wrapped capacity. The drug is drunk before bedtime.
Since it is not difficult to treat constipation in older people at home, anyone can cope with it. It is enough to decide on the recipe. Despite the effectiveness of popular methods, you should contact the medical staff so that they can make an accurate diagnosis and adjust the treatment.
Laxatives for constipation at home
The mechanism of action of different laxative drugs is different, but their goal is to fight constipation and atony, i.e. bowel dysfunction. This is done by the following methods:
- Irritation of receptors in the intestine. Such effects have phytopreparations, bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, buckthorn bark. They stimulate peristalsis directly and increase the secretion of mucus inside the colon.
- Increased intestinal contents leading to stimulation of the walls. Salt drugs and sea kale are coping with this task.
- The softening of the feces, making emptying much easier. This effect has oil drugs.
- Fluid retention in the intestine with osmotic pressure. The drugs of the same name delay the absorption of water into the intestinal walls, as a result of which it dilutes the feces. In addition, these drugs will not cause addiction.
- Restoration of intestinal bacterial balance. For this purpose, prebiotics are used that are best suited for older people.
Strong fast action laxative
Only in case of acute attacks of constipation can the patient use laxatives of quick action. If systematic use of such drugs, the intestines will weaken and he will no longer be able to empty. These tools are good only for their speed, but they can only eliminate a symptom of the disease. Among the laxative drugs of urgent action recommended by the elderly, can be identified:
- Guttalax A fast-acting laxative in the form of drops. The desired effect is already apparent after 12 hours. The dose of the drug depends on the stage of constipation and ranges from 10 to 15 drops. The laxative drug is addictive, and therefore not recommended for long-term use. Price from 300 r.
- Forlax Another effective tool based on the "washout" effect. The disadvantage is that the mineral composition of the blood is deteriorating. Based on osmotic action. Dosage is 2 packets of powder at a time or 1 morning and evening. Price from 250 r.
- Regulax. Available in the form of drops and cubes for chewing. This powerful tool leads to addiction, because the main component is a plant such as senna. The daily dosage is 0.5-1 cube or 10-15 drops. Price from 250 r.
Prebiotics have a milder effect on the body. Such laxatives are permitted for constipation in elderly, lactating and pregnant women. The principle of prebiotics is to stimulate the growth of beneficial bacteria in the intestine. Among the slow and safe laxatives for constipation for the elderly, the following are recommended:
- Prelax. It is recommended for use against constipation, even in newborns. The basis of the tool is lactulose, capable of pulling water from the intestinal walls. The release form is a liquid or powder to prepare a solution. The dose is 30 ml daily for initial treatment, 20 ml for maintenance. Price from 300 r.
- Duphalac. Light drug based on osmotic action. Getting into the colon, breaks down into organic components. Fecal masses increase, followed by emptying and restoration of normal microflora. The daily dose is 15-45 ml. Price from 250 r.
- Exported. The agent based on the increase in osmotic pressure. The laxative effect occurs a day after admission, but may occur after 2-3 days. The dosage is 4 tsp. powder daily. Price from 250 r.
It is very important to prevent addiction to the drug. Long-term use of laxatives for constipation for the elderly is dangerous because the body stops responding to them. This causes a person to increase the dose, but such actions will not bring the desired effect. Laxative drugs that do not lead to addiction include the following:
- Microlax Based on the dilution of the intestinal contents, facilitating its excretion. The release form is a laxative solution for rectal use. The daily dose includes 5 ml of the drug, i.e. the contents of 1 enema. Price from 350 r.
- Fitomucil. Herbal preparation, the main components of which are the fruits of home plums and psyllium seed peel. Laxative effect on the stool, diluting them and thus improving digestion. Apply the powder diluted in water. Daily dose - 1 sachet. Price from 250 r.
- Slabilen. Drops based on irritation of intestinal mucosa receptors. Take the medicine before going to bed inside, and the dose depends on the age of the patient and the stage of constipation. Price from 120 p.
For bedridden elderly
Mild regular stimulation of intestinal peristalsis, which is performed by physical exertion, inaccessible to supine-aged ones, is the main task of the means that are assigned to them. There are no laxatives with immediate effect: choose the recommended treatment for chronic constipation on lactulose, polyethylene glycol, macrogol.Gastroenterologists advise:
- Duphalac - syrup on lactulose, a probiotic that changes the flora of the colon, increases acidity in its lumen, stimulates peristalsis, softens the feces. The mucous membrane and smooth muscle is not affected. Banned with rectal bleeding, lactase deficiency, suspected appendicitis. The dosage is selected individually by a doctor, can be used continuously (longer than six months). The absolute analogue is Portalak, Normaze.
- Forlax - a powder based on macrogol, has an osmotic effect, increases the volume of intestinal contents. The effect appears after 24-48 hours after ingestion; the remedy is allowed even for children. Forlax can be used for 3 months, dosage - up to 4 sachets per day. The powder is diluted with warm water (50 ml), drink the medicine in the morning and evening. Adverse reactions are rare, contraindications are Crohn's disease, unspecified abdominal pain, and intestinal obstruction.