An unpleasant condition - a disorder in the stool - can manifest itself for a long time and be the cause of many intestinal diseases of the adult and the child. Diarrhea can last several days, even a month. First of all, with prolonged diarrhea, you should consult a doctor. What to do if diarrhea does not allow to leave the house?
Before drinking a first aid kit drugs for diarrhea, find out the causes of the disease. In adults, long-term diarrhea can be caused by poisoning, diseases of the small and large intestines, stress, overwork and other causes. In infants, the condition is sometimes due to physiological reasons.
Diet and Regimen
First of all, it is shown to compensate for the loss of fluids and electrolytes, to observe certain nutritional norms throughout the treatment.
- The patient must drink to eliminate dehydration and remove accumulated toxins from the body. It is permissible to use pure water or use broths and teas. The volume of the filled liquid is not less than 2 liters per day. You need to drink as much water as was lost.
- In case of severe disorder with minutely desires, we unsolder the patient with a saline solution, for example, Regidron.
If all else fails, diarrhea does not go away on the second or third day, despite following the doctor’s instructions, you may not have changed your diet.
- We eat light mashed potatoes, soups, meat, fish (boiled, low-fat).
- Porridges are prepared on the water, mucous in consistency.
- Foods with high levels of pectin (apples, baked bananas).
- Strong tea and berry jelly.
- Potassium-rich food.
All products are served in a crushed, puree form.
- Vegetables and fruits,
- Canned food
- Smoked products
- Milk products,
- Large grains, in order to avoid trauma to the intestines,
- Fast food,
- Fatty food.
Loperamide based products
These funds are used when diarrhea is strong and does not stop for a long time. The drugs are available without a prescription. They are prescribed for acute, chronic (if liquid stool continues for a third week or more) diarrhea.
- 1 trimester of pregnancy, child age less than 6 years.
- Allergic reactions.
- 2-3 trimester - use in pregnant women, if the benefits are higher risk.
- Acute colitis.
- Persistent diarrhea caused by prolonged use of antibacterial drugs.
- Liver dysfunction.
Means well absorbed by patients, but can be accompanied by side effects:
- Constipation, flatulence, the patient may have a stomachache.
- Fatigue, sleepiness.
- Rash, itching, fever.
Imodium - available in the form of capsules or tablets. An adult or a child over 12 years old should take 2 tablets once a day, i.e. at the same time. If the bowel disorder continues - take 1 tablet after going to the toilet, until the moment when the diarrhea stops completely. A child over 6 years old - 1 tab. means lump sum, then 1 each after emptying, until stool is normalized.
If the intestinal upset continues 12 hours after taking the medication, it is necessary to stop treatment and urgently go to the hospital.
Loperamide - 2 capsules are initially taken for adults, then 1 capsule after going to the toilet, until stool is normalized (maximum dose - 8 capsules). Children over 6 years old - 1 capsule (maximum dose - 3 capsules).
If the chair is formed, we stop the treatment.
Sorbents are required. They take drugs for poisoning, infectious diseases and as a quick assistant to stop diarrhea. They are able to collect toxic substances on the surface and remove them from the body.
Activated carbon - there are tablet forms and powder. Often used for poisoning, intoxication of a different nature. Take up to 3 tablets 4 times a day, one hour before the main therapy, otherwise the effect of the main drug may be reduced. To stop taking the drug in acute conditions is permissible on the fifth day, usually occurs every other day. If the condition is chronic, we extend the admission to fourteen days. Repeated course on the appointment of a specialist.
Side effects develop in the form of constipation, impaired absorption of substances in the intestines, decrease in temperature and pressure, staining of the stool in black, abnormal liver function.
You can not use the drug in case of hypersensitivity to the composition of the drug, ulcers in the digestive tract, bleeding from the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
Smekta - white or slightly yellowish powder, approved for use in children. It is used in acute, chronic indigestion of various kinds. It copes well when the kid has a stomach ache, there is bloating, tortured heartburn.
If the condition is acute, adults are allowed to consume 6 sachets per day. For babies up to one year - the first 3 days have two sachets per day, then 1 each. Children older than a year up to 4 sachets per day 3 days, then 2 sachets each. It is advisable to lay a course in a week. The tool is allowed to mix with porridge, baby food, compote. Allowed for use in pregnant women. In rare cases, when taking the drug is observed constipation and a small rash with itching.
Smektu can not be used in violation of the absorption of substances and allergies to the drug.
Drugs are prescribed for intestinal dysbiosis, caused by antibiotics, and conditions characterized by loss of beneficial microflora.
Linex - to use inside after eating, both for the treatment and for the prevention of intestinal imbalance. For kids under three years old, the contents of the capsules are mixed with water. Children from birth to two years is assigned to 1 cap. three times a day. From two to twelve years - 1-2 cap. three times a day. Adults take two capsules 3 times a day. The course is chosen individually. Side effects of the drug is not fixed.
Bifidumbacterin - available in the form of capsules and suppositories for adults and children. Use is possible at:
- Ulcers of the digestive tract,
- During intestinal infections,
- Persistent constipation
- Taking drugs of the antibiotic group, the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory group and hormones.
Take half an hour before meals or while breastfeeding.
Patients before surgery for three to five days before surgery and two weeks after.
In chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract 3 times a day, a course of two weeks.
There is a likelihood of allergic reactions to the drug.
It is forbidden to use in children under 3 years old (suppositories), with allergic reactions to the composition of the drug.
If the cause of prolonged diarrhea was poisoning with poor-quality products, to quickly get rid of the symptoms of dyspepsia and flushing toxic substances from the body (until their absorption), it is recommended to conduct a small course of cleansing enemas.
The procedures are performed in an adult, even in cases of severe diarrhea. As a solution for washing, use warm, lightly salted water or water-saline solution Regidron. Repeat the manipulation until the washings are clean. Sometimes enemas are prescribed with enveloping drugs, which allow to speed up the process many times, respectively, diarrhea passes much faster.
Danger of illness
Adult diarrhea occurs due to disruption of the normal physiology of the digestive organs, primarily the intestines. In a healthy person, the feces contain 80% of water, with intestinal upset the amount of fluid rises up to 90%, therefore, constant liquid stool is secreted.
Water diarrhea, which has emerged as a single episode in an adult, is not dangerous. But if diarrhea does not pass 3 days or more, then this can lead to dehydration, deficiency of beneficial substances, and a general depletion of the body. If diarrhea does not go away for a week, this condition causes a disruption in the work of the musculoskeletal system, since salts and electrolytes are washed out of the body, which is manifested by pain and muscle cramps. But more dangerous is a violation of the contractile function of the heart (clinically it is arrhythmia) caused by an electrolyte imbalance in the body.
It is important to consider: the duration of an unpleasant symptom is directly proportional to the severity of the cause that caused it, that is, the longer the diarrhea lasts, the more dangerous it is for the body. Irreversible changes in health can occur on the third day. It is possible to weaken the manifestation of the disorder, but without affecting the etiological factor, the disease will progress and cause complications.
The following pathologies provoke liquid stool in an adult that can last several days in a row:
- Inflammation of the intestines, gastric and duodenal ulcers. Typical symptoms: severe diarrhea, which can last more than one day, the presence of blood in the stool, pain throughout the abdomen, nausea, fever.
- Protozoal infection (dysenteric amoeba, Giardia, etc.). In addition to diarrhea, the patient is worried about: sharp weight loss, frequent nausea, deterioration of hair, nails, skin, general weakness, etc. In some people, the parasites can multiply in the body for long months and years, which manifests itself in periodic episodes of intestinal upset.
- Viral intestinal infection. A person has a stomach ache, fever, nausea and vomiting, no appetite, but the main complaint is diarrhea, which does not go away for several days.
- Pancreatic diseases (cystic fibrosis, chronic pancreatitis). With these diseases, there is a sharp pain in the abdomen, extending to the back. Spasms are accompanied by nausea, vomiting, weakness. Without treatment, diarrhea lasts a long time.
- Inflammation of the female genital organs, uterine myoma. Symptoms besides diarrhea: pain in the lower abdomen, prolonged and painful periods, frequent weakness with fever, etc.
- Intestinal neoplasm. They develop for a long time over several months or years and are characterized by a gradual increase in symptoms: diarrhea with discharge of blood, due to which the feces are colored dark, abdominal pain, weakness, nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss, frequent fever.
- Drinking alcohol in unsustainable quantities. Everything that goes into the intestines should be metabolized. When there is not enough enzymes to process ethanol, the body tries to reject this product in order to prevent its toxic effects. That is, diarrhea, which arose after alcohol, is a defensive reaction.
This list is far from complete - there are more than 100 diseases that have very similar external symptoms. Only a qualified specialist can make the correct diagnosis and establish the causes of diarrhea. And the correct etiological treatment is the way to recovery from diarrhea.
First of all, the doctor interviews the patient, finds out what symptoms, except for diarrhea, torment him. For example, is there a fever, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, etc. Also asks the patient to describe in detail the process of defecation. Usually doctors use the following polling algorithm:
- What is the frequency of urging to the toilet.
- Is there pain in the abdomen, does pain appear on stool?
- What is the consistency of feces and is there any impurities in it (blood, pus).
- What usually precedes the appearance of diarrhea (it may be diarrhea after eating, exercise).
- Are there patterns in time (in some diseases, diarrhea torments adults only at night or in the afternoon in the first half).
- How many days or weeks lasted a similar clinical picture.
Almost always requires a study of feces - coprogram. A small amount of feces is collected and delivered to the laboratory at the clinic. Usually the result is ready on the fifth or fourth day. If there is a suspicion of an intestinal infection, a bacteriological examination of feces is performed, a complete blood count is taken.
If the survey results are negative, then instrumental diagnostic methods should be taken additionally. Used: irrigoscopy, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, etc. This allows you to detect inflammation, tumors and various bowel function abnormalities that cause diarrhea that lasts all day or several days.
The diet for diarrhea in adults plays a crucial role, since many foods affect the intestines irritatingly, having a negative effect on intestinal motility. The diet can become a kind of natural laxative, so you should give up or eat less some dishes until the ailment passes. Among the laxative products are the following groups:
- Providing mechanical (fiber) or chemical irritation (spicy, sour, salty foods, etc.).
- Choleretic (fatty foods, carrots, tomatoes, etc.).
- Fermentation (apples, cabbage, milk, etc.).
These groups make up an extensive list. For the correct choice and differentiation of food we present a list with specific examples. When diarrhea is worth eating in small portions or completely abandon the following:
- Fried or fatty meat or fish.
- Offal (entrails, head, limbs - side components, obtained by butchering the animal).
- Milk and dairy products (especially high fat), eggs.
- Canned vegetables, mushrooms.
- Spices, bakery products.
- Soda, strong tea or coffee, alcoholic beverages.
Diet should be used for at least three days after stool normalization. There are situations when the patient receives proper treatment and complains that nothing helps. This is an example of a case where neglect of the diet becomes a factor aggravating the course of intestinal upset, any product from the list above will increase diarrhea.
At the same time, the patient's diet is useful to include:
- Steamed meat patties, boiled lean fish, meatballs.
- Rusks from white bread.
- Vegetable soup, baked fruits and compotes.
- Grated baked potatoes, beans.
- Fresh strawberries and blueberries (in small portions, the number of servings per day - 2-3).
- Clean water, green or weak black tea.
For stool disorder to pass more quickly, the indicated list for diarrhea should be taken as a basis. You need to make your individual nutrition plan for each day and carefully follow a diet. Past diarrhea is not a reason to abandon such a regime. The organism is still weak and sensitive, so the diet should be observed for at least 3 days after the normalization of the defecation act.
Dehydration threatens the body with electrolyte imbalance, pressure and pulse decrease, a person feels weak all day. A sign of such a condition is a small amount of urine, its darkening. With the loss of more than 10% of water in the body, painful changes occur, more than 25% often end in death.
In order to prevent the negative effects of diarrhea, the patient must properly organize their drinking regime and use a lot of liquid (about a few liters) throughout the whole day.Plain water will do, but with diarrhea, it is better to make glucose-saline solutions that help fill the deficit of electrolytes and energy substrates. Recipe:
- Soda - 0.5 tsp.
- Attested salt - 1 tsp.
- Sugar - 4 tbsp. l
- Potassium iodide - 0.25 tsp.
The last component can be replaced with freshly squeezed orange juice or dried apricots based on dried apricots. With prolonged bowel disorder, it is better to combine these ingredients and add alternately every other day. The rule is used: fractional fluid dose, but frequent drinking.
The choice of pharmacological agents should be based on the cause of the diarrhea and intestinal upset. Drugs affect the pathogenetic mechanisms of the disease, and they differ in each of the diseases. Doctors prescribe to patients:
- Slow intestinal motility: Loperamide, Imodium, etc. Reducing the physical activity of the gastrointestinal tract increases the time of passage of food masses, which helps with diarrhea.
- Enterosorbents: Activated carbon, White coal, Smekta, De-nol, Polyphepan, Balignin, etc. Used for poisoning and infectious diseases. The beginning of the reception - on the first day with the appearance of diarrhea, can be used for the purpose of prevention. They help remove toxins from the body, viruses and bacteria, relieve bloating during intestinal upset.
- Enzymes: Pancreatin, Mezim, Festal, Creon and others. They help to establish healthy digestion in diarrhea, serve as replacement therapy with substances that are analogs of digestive juice.
- Probiotics: Linex, Bifiform, Hilak-Forte and others. They help restore part of the normal intestinal microflora in diarrhea.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Diclofenac, Sulfasalosin, Indomethacin, etc. Used for diarrhea caused by inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Antibiotics of various groups, tailored to the sensitivity of the pathological bacterial flora. They are not prescribed for diarrhea caused by foodborne diseases.
The main thing you need to do if diarrhea lasts a long time - go to the doctor, get tested!
Self-medication is dangerous, because without knowledge of the disease that provoked diarrhea, you can begin to take the wrong pills, which will aggravate the situation. Take care of yourself, watch out for your health, so as not to get sick in the future and not face intestinal upset.
Loose stools do not appear without reason. Changes in the consistency of the feces are always associated with the influence of one of the negative factors. Doctors call several situations in which diarrhea can last from three to five or more days.
- Poisoning. This is the most common cause of intestinal upset. If stale food gets into the human body, then the processes of decay inside the gastrointestinal tract are triggered, during which toxic substances are produced. This is what provokes prolonged diarrhea. The situation will not be corrected until all the poisons leave the body.
- Dysbacteriosis. This condition is characterized by an imbalance in the microflora that populates the intestines. Diarrhea can last 3 days or more, after which it is replaced by the opposite symptom. The man begins to suffer from constipation.
- Viral disease. Due to the penetration into the body of the smallest pathogenic non-cellular creatures often develop diarrhea in a child. In this case, the clinical picture is complemented by a general deterioration of health, nausea, weakness.
- Bacterial infection. This is one of the most dangerous causes of prolonged diarrhea. Various pathogens can provoke diarrhea, including E. coli, Vibrio cholerae, Salmonella. The patient has a fever, and the whole treatment process may take 3 weeks.
- Gastritis. When diarrhea begins, check the condition of the gastric mucosa. In inflammatory processes in the inner lining of the digestive tract organs, diarrhea is also possible.
- Stress. Adult diarrhea often occurs with a satisfactory state of health of the digestive system. Gastroenterologists claim that the reason may be hiding in excessive emotional overstrain. In this case, the culprits of the disorder are hormones that relax the smooth muscles of the intestinal walls.
Sometimes, to get rid of unpleasant symptoms, it is enough just to eliminate the effect of the provoking factor. In other cases, without specialized drug treatment is indispensable.
Medicines for diarrhea
If the liquid stool continues for 3 days, then urgent measures should be taken to solve the problem. It is important not only to contribute to the formation of fecal masses of normal consistency. When diarrhea is required to act directly on intestinal peristalsis, as well as to eliminate provoking factors.
Loperamide-based drugs can help stop acute diarrhea. It is their doctor will prescribe, if the improvement does not come even after three days. Such drugs affect the intestinal motor function by blocking the urge to defecate at the receptor level.
Pharmacies have many popular anti-diarrhea drugs. Doctors recommend choosing Imodium, Lopedium or Loperamide. It should be noted that none of the medications are suitable for treating a small child. Minimum age allowed is 4 years.
With diarrhea, the body loses not only the fluid, which normally should be absorbed into the bloodstream from the colon, but also the necessary minerals. For this reason, if the diarrhea lasts 2 days or more, the electrolyte balance is disturbed in the person. You can restore it if you take special salt solutions, such as Rehydron. The powder contains a mixture of chemicals that provide a normal concentration of minerals in the body. In a child, diarrhea causes a loss of strength even faster than in an adult, so the use of Regidron is mandatory.
Other necessary medications for diarrhea, which lasts several days, are sorbents. Their reception is required for poisoning, viral infections, bacterial diseases. Such substances have the unique ability of their surface to absorb toxins and, in a bound state, excrete them with feces.
The most famous and inexpensive sorbent is activated carbon. Its more modern counterparts are Enterosgel, Polisorb, Smekta. They are prescribed for both children and adults.
Many patients are interested in what to do if the cause of diarrhea is dysbiosis. Experts respond that it is necessary to restore the balance of intestinal microflora as soon as possible. Special prebiotics will help in this. They stimulate the growth of their own beneficial bacteria. Good reviews of the drug Hilak Forte, which is often prescribed for various problems with the intestines.
In addition, probiotic treatment is possible. They are living cultures of various beneficial bacteria that form colonies in the intestine that displace pathogenic microbes. This group of drugs includes Acipol, Linex, Bifiform, Bifidumbacterin.
After a course of therapy with probiotics, all digestive processes proceed without fail.
More complex inflammatory diseases, such as gastritis, bulbit, duodenitis, are treated strictly under the control of a gastroenterologist. Such pathologies require complex therapy with the use of antibiotics, antacids, gastroprotectors and prokinetics.
Diet and nutritional rules
Loose stools are a dangerous condition that leads to loss of strength and weakness. For this reason, special attention should be paid to the compilation of the menu. Food should satisfy the need for vitamins and minerals without aggravating the situation. However, some foods for diarrhea should be avoided. Thus, the dilution of fecal masses is observed when using prunes, apples, beets, cucumbers.
The basis of the diet for diarrhea can serve as light soups with lean meat and vegetables. As a side dish is better to choose cereals - buckwheat, rice. It is allowed to supplement them with chicken, turkey, veal or fish.
Fermented milk products will help to improve the normal functioning of the intestines. Kefir, acidophilus, natural yoghurt are useful for the digestive tract, as they contain lactobacilli. It should be noted that milk and cream do not have a similar effect. Due to their high fat content, they should be avoided.
Folk remedies with liquid stool
Diarrhea that lasts 3 days cannot be ignored. In addition to drugs, will help to normalize the work of the intestines and popular recipes. It is important to understand that not all situations such therapy is appropriate. So, in infectious diseases without pharmaceutical drugs can not do. If diarrhea is caused by poisoning or stress, then supplementing the main treatment with folk remedies is quite real.
- Popular is the use of rice decoction. For the preparation of 2 tablespoons of cereal filled with two glasses of water. The mixture is heated and then cooled and infused. It should be drunk throughout the day in small sips.
- Another effective remedy for loose stools is rowan juice. You need to drink it twice a day for half a pack. It is advisable to do this before eating on an empty stomach. The drink is useful not only because it helps stop diarrhea. Rowan berries are rich in vitamins, which is essential for weakness and fatigue that accompany intestinal disorders.
Diarrhea is an unpleasant symptom, which is much easier to get rid of if the exact cause of the condition is known. To determine the pathology, you need to consult a doctor, who will not only examine, but also recommend to pass tests. After examining stool and blood samples, the specialist will make a conclusion about the factors that provoke the disorder, and explain how to restore the normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract as soon as possible.
What is the danger of prolonged diarrhea?
When diarrhea feces become more liquid. Watery stools cause dehydration. Lack of fluids, vitamins and minerals affects the work of all organs.
A person gradually loses strength, with prolonged diarrhea, calcium and phosphorus are lost, which is necessary for bone tissue.
Diarrhea lasts more than a week
What to do in a situation when diarrhea does not pass a whole week? It is necessary to immediately call the doctor and try to find out with him the reason for the strong indisposition of the child or adult. Weekly diarrhea can trigger several factors, so it is important to study the patient’s condition in detail and outline a plan of action to eliminate the syndrome.
The main provocateurs of weekly diarrhea are well studied. The acute stage always develops when there is a violation of the diet, with the occurrence of food allergies, with intolerance to certain foods or drugs.
Acute diarrhea can be provoked by intestinal infections caused by bacterial poisoning, viruses, toxins and the simplest pathogens in the gastrointestinal tract. Among the causes of weekly diarrhea are:
- Viral gastroenteritis.
- Food poisoning.
- Travelers' diarrhea.
- Bacterial enterocolitis.
- Diarrhea, triggered by long-term medication.
Each disease has its own clinical picture, its own mechanism of the appearance of weekly diarrhea, therefore, it is possible to answer the question of what to do after a thorough examination. For example, if a patient’s diarrhea does not go away for several days or a whole week, if severe nausea and constant vomiting are added to this ailment, painful cramps in the intestine, if all these symptoms appear simultaneously and do not go away during the first three days, but only increase There is a chance of developing viral gastroenteritis. Confirm the diagnosis can lack of streaks of blood or pus in feces. Such a disease is not accompanied by fever.
Viral gastroenteritis is transmitted from person to person over several days, so strict adherence to personal hygiene helps prevent weekly diarrhea. Food poisoning can also explain why diarrhea does not go away for a whole week in an adult patient and in a child, and the stomach constantly hurts. This is a short-term disease, it occurs when toxins or pathogenic bacteria whose life activity leads to the formation of poisons get into the stomach with food. They cause general intoxication of the body. In a sick child or an adult, two hours later, after consuming the provocateur, severe abdominal pain first appears, then loose stools, the temperature rises sharply, and it is accompanied by nausea and vomiting. What to do? Cleansing the stomach leads to a marked relief, treatment is reduced to a strict diet. It helps to get rid of 7-day diarrhea.
Travelers' diarrhea is another diagnosis that can explain why a patient has been suffering from loose stools for a whole week. In the intestines of a healthy person there is a large number of bacteria that are involved in the processes of digestion. Among them are special strains. They, being in the limits of the tract, are completely harmless, but, falling outside its limits, become pathogenic. So there are, for example, urinary tract infections, sepsis. Sometimes alien strains get inside the body from the outside, so there is traveler's diarrhea.
Tourists visiting exotic countries, countries with poor environmental conditions, are at risk of becoming infected with enterotoxic strains that can cause sudden diarrhea. They become sources of severe stomach pain, nausea, and severe vomiting. All these symptoms appear on the seventh day after consuming a poor-quality or contaminated product, poor drinking water. With the right treatment, all signs disappear after 7 days, which is why travelers' diarrhea was included in the described list.
When pathogens invade the intestinal mucosa, bacterial enterocolitis is diagnosed. It contributes to the inflammation of the mucous layer, so diarrhea appears, there are streaks of blood or pus in the liquid stool, body temperature rises sharply, it is accompanied by fever and abdominal pain. Is it possible to eliminate them, what to do to endow the state? Contact a specialist. As a rule, with proper treatment, all of the indicated symptoms disappear completely after 7 days, after 2 weeks the patient is discharged home.
Very rarely, diarrhea does not go away for more than a week due to infection with parasites. In this case, other symptoms, such as fever, nausea and vomiting, are not observed. But the pus in the liquid stool is present. Parasites enter the body after drinking dirty water.
Long-term use of certain medications in adult patients can also lead to weekly diarrhea and abdominal pain. That is why treatment with drugs that can neutralize the acidity of gastric juice, containing magnesium, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory tablets, antibiotics, antiarrhythmics, medicines used to reduce high blood pressure should be carried out under the supervision of a physician.
Misoprostol, Quinidine, Olsalazine, Colchicine, Metoclopramide, Cisapride are capable of provoking weekly liquid stools in a child for months. When deciding what to do if diarrhea does not go away, it is important to immediately eliminate medication, and only then involve symptomatic therapy.
Diarrhea lasts two weeks
When diarrhea does not go away for 2 weeks, but there are no signs of dehydration, this is a prolonged form of indisposition. Factors capable of provoking a prolonged course of the syndrome should also be listed. It:
- Frequent and very long-term use of antibiotics.
- A child under one year old will go on artificial feeding.
- Poorly healed intestinal infections.
- Deficiency anemia.
- Diathesis in children.
- Malabsorption syndrome.
What happens to the body when loose stools last several days or more than 2 weeks? A watery stool appears in a sick child or an adult; there are impurities of mucus in it, but there is no blood, there may be complaints of severe flatulence and bloating. A person may complain of anxiety or irritability, slow unfolding of skin fold, the presence of constant thirst and pain in the abdomen.
Protracted two-week diarrhea is dangerous in that it can lead to the development of a syndrome that provokes poor absorption of trace elements coming from outside. This leads to weight loss, a decrease in bone density, and an increase in their fragility. If the disease lasts longer than 7 days or 2 weeks, there is a risk of avitaminosis. In a child, such a complication can give rise to a delay in mental and physical development. Therefore, one cannot ignore the appearance of indisposition, do not wait for 2 weeks, try to solve the problem on their own, what to do, deal with the symptoms described, using traditional medicine. Without identifying the sources of discomfort, any therapy will look meaningless.
Diarrhea lasts 3 weeks
If diarrhea does not go away for 3 weeks in a child or in an adult patient, doctors diagnose Chronic diarrhea. It can occur for various reasons. Here are the most common ones:
- Irritable bowel syndrome. It forms persistent disorders of the intestinal motility, due to which the feces rapidly fly through the entire irritated bowel tract. What to do, how to treat such a disease? Good help hypnosis, a sick child and an adult should strictly adhere to a special diet, which involves the exclusion from the diet of products that can increase intestinal motility. Drug treatment for 3 weeks of diarrhea is aimed at eliminating the associated symptoms (abdominal pain, discomfort during defecation, vomiting, high fever).
- Infectious diseases. Among the pathologies that can cause 3 weeks of liquid stool is giardiasis, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, and chronic gastrointestinal infections. In such a situation, only an experienced doctor can understand what to do after a thorough laboratory examination.
- Dysbacteriosis. No one can describe the exact mechanism that triggers a 3-week diarrhea in dysbacteriosis, but it is well established that the pathogenic bacteria very quickly move from the small intestine to the large intestine, and vice versa, therefore, irritable bowel syndrome is formed. What should be done with dysbacteriosis? Follow a diet, drink a course of antibiotics and bacteriophages, drugs that can normalize the intestinal microflora.
- Post-infectious syndrome. Some adult patients after acute viral infections, bacterial or parasitic invasions, also develop a 3-week malaise. It is associated with the existing complications, to understand what to do to eliminate the painful symptoms, you can carefully examine the existing history.
- Inflammatory bowel disease, which is accompanied by inflammation of the intestinal mucosa, is also able to provoke a three-week diarrhea.
- Colon cancer.
- Malabsorption of carbohydrates or fats.
- Endocrine pathologies (hyperthyroidism and Addison's disease).
- Long-term use of laxative drugs.
Diarrhea 2 months
Factor provoking malaise, which lasts 2 months, can be food allergies, individual intolerance to a certain product, diarrhea 2 months in an adult can occur as a reaction to the use of a synthetic substance (dye, preservative, flavor). Knowing why the sickness does not go away, which can provoke short, prolonged and prolonged diarrhea, it is easy to start worrying about your health in time.
Factors triggering chronic diarrhea
Diarrhea can begin due to infestation by parasites. Dangers to humans are lamblia, especially for children. Digestive disorders may occur in the late stages of the disease, with chronic carriage.
Parasites can exist in humans for weeks and even months. Diarrhea occurs only when the number of parasites increases so that their toxic effect begins to exceed the compensatory capabilities of the body.
If diarrhea does not go a week or longer, then this indicates a possible infection of viral infections, such as rotavirus diarrhea. The patient loses his appetite, begin vomiting and nausea. Chronic diarrhea is a sign of serious diseases of certain internal organs.
People with pathology of the pancreas suffer from indigestion. Patients reveal pancreatitis and cystic fibrosis. Patients complain of pain, weakness and intolerance to fat and meat food. Digestive upset can last several months.
The cause of long-term diarrhea can be cancerous tumors formed in the intestine. Cancers cause discoloration of feces. In the stool of the patient there are blood clots. A person has abdominal pain, nausea and weakness.
Also one of the causes of chronic diarrhea can be HIV infection.
How is the examination of the patient
Many diseases have similar symptoms. To accurately diagnose it is necessary to conduct an examination of the patient. To begin, the doctor asks the patient to describe the symptoms of diarrhea. It is important for him to know:
- how often the patient goes to the toilet,
- how long does diarrhea last
- stool consistency
- the presence in the feces of blood clots and mucus,
- how painful is the defecation
- what factors triggered diarrhea,
- are there any patterns in time (in some patients, diarrhea appears only at night).
The feces of the patient are examined for the presence of parasites, harmful bacteria, and his general analysis and bacteriological examination are carried out. The patient must undergo a complete blood count. Prolonged diarrhea indicates the presence of various diseases of the digestive system.
To make the correct diagnosis, the patient must be examined. You can get information about the patient's condition using the following methods:
- Colonoscopy serves for the timely detection of various diseases of the large intestine. With the help of a colonoscope, doctors determine the condition of the mucous membrane and the lumen of the intestine.
- Rectoromanoscopy allows to obtain data on the status of various sections of the rectum and sigmoid colon. During the examination, you can find out about the presence of tumors and ulcers.
What if diarrhea does not go more than a week? Get rid of toxins and can be with an enema. Water flushes out toxins and various microorganisms that are in the colon.
The healing effect can be enhanced if herbal decoctions with astringent properties are used instead of water. Strengthen the chair can be due to decoctions of chamomile, oak or sage.
The maximum amount of fluid for an enema is 2 liters.
What is recommended for eating in chronic diarrhea?
The list of permitted products include:
- Vegetable soups are quickly absorbed in the patient.
- Porridge cooked in water, will help cleanse toxins. The mucus contained in the porridges enters the intestine. It protects the walls of mucous membranes from irritants. This helps reduce the frequency of bowel movements. The only exception is barley porridge, which strongly loads the digestive organs.
- Do not give up bananas, as their pulp helps to strengthen the chair. In addition, this fruit contains a large amount of potassium.
- Meat dishes should be cooked or steamed.
- Strengthen loose stools can be due to the use of crackers. And it is not necessary to buy them in the store. As crackers, you can use dried in the oven pieces of white bread.
Forbidden Product List
To get rid of diarrhea, you should eliminate the following dishes from the diet:
- At the time of illness will have to abandon fatty meats.
- It is forbidden to eat canned food, marinades and smoked meats. They contain substances that irritate the intestinal wall.
- Carbonated drinks will only worsen the patient's condition.
- Confectionery products contain a large amount of sugar, which provokes the emergence of fermentation processes.
- Patients with pancreatitis better to abandon spicy dishes, as well as fatty.
- Fruits and vegetables are rich in fiber, which stimulates the bowels.
- The cause of diarrhea may be the impossibility of assimilation of products containing gluten and lactose. In this case, you will have to abandon the use of products containing these substances.
In what cases you need to immediately consult a doctor
- Diarrhea is accompanied by fever. Moreover, the patient's condition only worsens, as antipyretic drugs do not help.
- Blood and mucus appeared in the patient's stool.
- The patient suffers from pain in the abdomen.
- A person has dehydrated. Its symptoms are dry and loose skin, low pressure, hoarseness, sunken eyes, constant thirst.
How to avoid dehydration
On the day you need to drink at least 2 liters of fluid. Loose stools lead to leaching of microelements. Plain water is not able to compensate for the loss of vitamins and minerals.
Fortunately, in the pharmacy, you can buy ready-made salt solutions (Regidron, Citroglucosolan). Various salts, which are part of these solutions, contribute to fluid retention in the body.
No way to go to the pharmacy? Remedy for dehydration can be prepared without leaving the apartment. Moreover, all the necessary elements are present in any kitchen.
Pour half a teaspoon of baking soda into the container. Add to the mixture 4 tbsp. spoons of sugar. Dissolve a teaspoon of salt in the liquid. The mixture should be drunk in small sips. The solution will help to avoid dehydration and improve the condition of the patient.
Drugs for the treatment of long-term diarrhea in adults
Diarrhea, which lasts several days, may occur after eating poor-quality food. The intestine of the patient is attacked by harmful bacteria. In the process of reproduction, pathogenic microorganisms often secrete a huge amount of toxins. If they get into the products, and there are no microorganisms in them, it is not an intestinal infection, but food poisoning.
Sorbents that can quickly rid the human body of harmful components can help such patients. In the process of treatment, they absorb toxins and prevent the development of diarrhea.
It is necessary to observe the interval between taking the drugs. The reason is that adsorbents reduce the effectiveness of other drugs.
Among the most popular tools include Smecta, Enterosgel.
To reduce the production of mucus, the patient is recommended to take anti-inflammatory drugs (Diclofenac, Indomethacin), but for a very short course - no longer than 3 days.
Chronic diarrhea can be caused by Crohn's disease. In some cases, it is necessary to undergo a course of treatment with hormonal drugs (Metipred, Prednisolone).
Chronic diarrhea can often begin due to the development of diseases of the digestive system. Pathology of the liver and pancreas leads to a deficiency of enzymes that are involved in the process of digesting food. In this case, in the patient's stool, you can notice pieces of not fully digested meat fibers (creatorei phenomenon).
To compensate for the lack of enzymes can be due to such drugs as Festal, Mezim, Creon.
Antidiarrheal drugs are used to reduce the frequency of bowel movements. These include Imodium, Loperamide. However, these drugs can not be taken with intestinal infections.
This complicates the treatment of diarrhea, as part of the pathogens will remain in the body longer. Somatostatin and Octreotide are used to reduce bowel activity. But these are serious drugs, and they are prescribed only by a doctor, and they are expensive: for example, the cost of packing 5 ampoules of Octreotide for subcutaneous administration is 2,000 rubles. When spasms in the intestine help antispasmodics (Papaverine, No-shpa).
After testing, some patients identify pathogens of intestinal diseases. For the destruction of bacteria, the patient is prescribed antibacterial drugs. However, antibiotics do not cause any harm to viral infections.