Mostly they occur in women. Men, they worry much less. This is due to the fact that a woman, due to the peculiarities of the anatomical structure of the internal organs, can experience natural physiological pain, which is considered as normal. In men, pain in most cases indicates a pathology.
Sometimes the pain is localized strictly in the lower abdomen, in others it expands to other organs, gives the groin, testicles, intestines. Usually the pain becomes stronger with sudden movements. There may be pain during bowel movement, during urination. If a man has pain in the lower abdomen, you need to consult a doctor as soon as possible. Early diagnosis allows you to promptly take the necessary measures and carry out the required treatment. Only with timely treatment can we expect positive dynamics.
In men, they occur with appendicitis, sigmoiditis and other diseases of the genitourinary system, a violation of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as a sign of the development of a cancerous tumor. Men develop predominantly prostate cancer.
Causes of pain in the lower abdomen
Abdominal pain can be caused by inflammatory processes.
Pain in the lower quadrant of the abdomen can be sharp, dull, cramping, cutting and stitching.
They can give up in the leg, the area of the anus, increase during physical exertion and during visits to the toilet, accompanied by problems with urination and defecation. The main causes of pain in the lower abdomen in men:
- inflammatory processes in the bladder,
- renal colic,
- venereal diseases,
- infringement of a hernia, including the spine,
- intestinal inflammation, obstruction,
- prostate diseases
- oncopathology of the prostate, testicles, penis.
Often the symptoms of these diseases are similar. Therefore, you should not make a diagnosis yourself. You should start active actions with a visit to the urologist, since most of the diseases belong specifically to his specialization. If an inflammation of the appendix or bowel is suspected, or a cancer, the doctor will refer you to the specialist you need.
Diseases of the urinary system
Abdominal pain - a sign of disease of the urinary system.
Cystitis is considered a female disease, since the urethra in women is shorter and wider than in men and the pathological microflora reaches the bladder more quickly.
But the strong half of humanity is not immune from this. Inflammation of the bladder is a complication of urethritis - an inflammatory process in the urethra. The cause may be hypothermia, STDs. Symptoms of cystitis and urethritis:
- burning and pain in the urethra,
- painful urination,
- muddy urine, threads or clots of pus,
- swelling of the edge of the urethra,
- lower abdominal pain,
- in severe cases, nausea.
Similar symptoms are observed with the passage of sand or stones with renal colic. Concretions, passing ureters, cause severe, cramping pain. The patient does not find a place, rushes about.
If the stones are not large or sand is rejected, then the symptoms may be lubricated, and the pains may be of a medium intensity.
Appendicitis - causes abdominal pain.
The inflammatory process in the appendix gives severe pain in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen.
At the initial stage of the disease, they can be nagging, but with the development of the pathology, the pain syndrome increases.Additional symptoms:
- violation of defecation
- the patient lies on his side, legs bent,
- blood and urine tests show high leukocytosis.
When such symptoms appear, hospitalization in a surgical hospital is indicated.
Dull pulling pain in the lower abdomen accompanies such pathologies in the gastrointestinal system:
- inflammatory processes in the intestines,
- pathology in the sigmoid colon,
- intestinal obstruction.
Additional symptoms join the pain syndrome. In inflammatory processes, it is nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, or vice versa, constipation, flatulence, flatulence, and fever.
When obstruction, except for pain, the desire and urge to defecate, but it is impossible to carry out. As the pathological process increases, the patient begins to fever, vomiting may occur with feces. In this case, the patient is shown immediate hospitalization in the surgical department of the hospital.
Pathologies of the sigmoid colon are accompanied by pain, which give the lower back and left legs. Pain syndrome increases with movement and bowel movements. The causes of pathology are dysbacteriosis, infection, treatment with aggressive drugs and procedures.
Sexually transmitted diseases - gonorrhea, syphilis, the defeat of Trichomonas, opportunistic pathogens such as chlamydia or ureplazma - except for specific, characteristic only for their symptoms, can cause pain in the lower abdomen. This symptom is characteristic with a long course of untreated inflammatory process.
Alcohol abuse affects the prostate.
The prostate is a tender, necessary and vulnerable organ. The quality of his work depends on the normal functioning of the male reproductive system.
Inflammatory diseases of this gland are called prostatitis. The infection enters the prostate from the urethra, bladder, intestines.
But in itself rarely causes inflammation. Requires confluence of adverse circumstances. At risk are:
- sedentary men
- Persons leading excessively active sex life. But the complete absence of it is unfavorable.
- affects the prostate,
- violation of chronic defecation
- systemic and prolonged hypothermia,
- alcohol abuse.
The disease can develop acutely, but it can be sluggish chronic. Symptoms of the disease:
- Problems urinating - pain during the process, sluggish jet, frequent urge with a small amount of urine released.
- Increased temperature during the acute process. Without proper treatment, septic shock can begin with a temperature drop of up to 35 degrees.
- Abdominal pain and anus area.
- Long-term treatment with prophylactic courses. The prognosis for early treatment is favorable. But without treatment, it is extremely unfavorable.
Inflammatory testicular disease
Inflammatory testicular disease can cause fever.
Orchitis is an inflammation of one or both testicular glands in a man.
This disease is a consequence or complication of infectious and viral diseases, gonorrhea, syphilis, fungal flora, tuberculosis, brucellosis. Symptoms of testicular pathology:
- pain in the affected organ
- pulling pains in the lower abdomen and in the sacrum,
- the body is enlarged
- temperature up to 39 degrees in the acute process and up to 38 in the case of chronic,
- general weakness.
Without treatment, an abscess is likely to develop. Infertility develops. In the chronic process, infertility takes on a stable form.
Orchitis can be combined with an inflammatory process in the appendage of the organ - epididymitis. The treatment is conservative, aimed at suppressing an infectious or other agent.With the ineffectiveness of therapy and the presence of an abscess or infiltrates in the scrotum, surgical intervention is indicated.
Oncopathology of the prostate and testicles
In diseases of the prostate there is a disorder of urination.
Prostate and testicular cancer is a group of male malignant diseases of the reproductive system.
Oncopathology of the prostate develops in old age. Often the prognosis is unfavorable due to a late visit to a doctor.
Testicular cancer, on the contrary, is characteristic of young men in the active reproductive period. Well treatable.
A man diagnosed with testicular cancer has a very high chance of becoming a father. Symptoms of cancer of the prostate:
- urination disorders - an increase in bladder emptying time, a feeling of incomplete emptying,
- pain in the lower abdomen.
Treatment as conservative with the use of chemotherapy drugs, radio irradiation, and surgery with the full or partial removal of the organ. Testicular cancer has the following symptoms:
- the presence of seals in the structure of the body,
- pulling pains in the abdomen,
- sometimes a sharp pain syndrome with tissue necrosis,
- inflammation of the appendages of the organ.
Already in the first stage of oncopathology, the appearance of secondary tumors in the nearest lymphatic collectors is possible.
Therapeutic tactics depend on the type of tumor. Currently, complex methods of treatment, combining radiation before and after surgery, removal of tumors, massive chemotherapy are shown.
About the causes of pain and rumbling in the stomach tell video:
Dull pain in the lower abdomen is a noncharacteristic sign of a large number of diseases, both the reproductive system and the kidneys, and the intestines.
Do not self-medicate. With some pathologies - this is delaying precious time.
Start your examination with a visit to the urologist. Since most of the diseases with pain in the lower abdomen is his specialty. This is not a bad thing, although it can be unpleasant. But, you are a man, not a small tot!
Noticed a mistake? Select it and click Ctrl + Enterto let us know.
The biggest cause
The most common causes of lower abdominal pain are prostatitis. During an abscess, there is a nagging pain.
This malaise is characterized by an inflammatory process occurring in the prostate gland.
The disease is so common that it occurs in every third man. The age range covers 20-50 years.
Why does prostatitis appear?
- Defeat infection. This disease is triggered by the active activity of viruses, bacteria and fungi.
- Without the presence of infections. Due to influencing factors, prostate gland secretion stagnates. This can occur due to hypothermia, with a weak level of immunity, lack of physical activity.
What symptoms are accompanied by:
- The illness can be described by sharp painful attacks in the lower abdomen.
- Complications in urination. This process is very difficult.
- Formation of discharge from the urination canal.
The pain is located on the left
Pain in this area of the abdomen is usually caused by various disorders of the internal systems and diseases of the organs. As the location of the painful focus, pain is localized.
In this area of the peritoneum is the sigmoid colon. There you can find the location of the left ureter. The causes of pain may be in the diseases of these organs.
What diseases in this area may alarm the patient:
- Inflammation of the sigmoid colon. This disease is the most common among the remaining inflammations in the intestine. Features depend on the structure. On the inner surface of the intestine are the bends of natural origin, which hamper the passage of food. The result is stagnation of feces and the subsequent inflammatory process.There is a distinct pain in the left part of the intestine. Additionally, there are weakness and fatigue. The frequency and consistency of the chair changes.
- Diverticula of the sigmoid colon. The disease is manifested by the formation of sacs of pathological origin. Malaise manifests itself in the presence of a variety of reasons. These include abnormalities in the nature of the stool (constipation), rapid weight gain, bloating and flatulence, medications that have a laxative effect and infections. Malaise occurs with virtually no specific manifestations. In men, only certain pains in the lower abdomen are noted, and sometimes bloating and flatulence, accompanied by rumbling in the abdomen.
- The appearance of irritable bowel syndrome. A disorder occurs in the intestinal area that lasts for several months. The disease in men is triggered by a violation of the contraction of the muscle tissue of the intestine. As a result, the lower abdomen affects the pain, there is flatulence and bloating.
- The presence of Crohn's disease. This disease affects any part of the digestive system. Manifested in chronic inflammation. Manifested in the form of cracks that strike in a transverse order. Very often, the disease affects the intestines, colon and small intestine. As symptoms in men, there is a sharp and severe pain in the lower abdomen, the presence of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and sharply reduced weight. There is weakness, poor general condition and high temperature.
- Intestinal obstruction. At this time there is a violation in the movement of incoming food from the stomach into the intestine. Formed stagnation of food. The causes of this condition are in violations of the motor activity of a separate section of the intestine. There is a risk of mechanical obstruction. It can slow down and impede the movement of feces. Abdominal pains become cramping in men. Additionally, nausea, vomiting, constipation, bloating and increased flatulence.
- Oncological tumors in the sigmoid colon. A malignant tumor forms in the cavity of the sigmoid colon. It originates from the cells of the mucous membrane. Particularly susceptible to this disease are people with genetic inheritance and the presence of chronic diseases of the intestine and colon. This also includes the presence of bad habits, the lack of sports, physical exercise. The disease is difficult to detect at an early stage, because its symptoms do not manifest themselves in this period. The main symptoms of cancer in the sigmoid colon are lower abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and belching, increased flatulence and other intestinal disorders. Examining the feces of a patient with oncology, one can see blood streaks in feces or purulent blotches.
- Urolithiasis. This disease affects a number of vital organs - these are the kidneys, bladder and other organs.
Due to metabolic disorders, the formation of stones, which interfere with the normal operation of the urogenital system. Feel pronounced pain in the lower abdomen in men.
Risk factors also include genetic predisposition. The lower abdomen and lumbar region affects acute pain. When exacerbations, see bleeding during urination, nausea and vomiting.
Causes of stone formation:
The main reasons include eating disorders, lack of important vitamins and beneficial elements, injuries, diseases of the digestive and urinary systems.
If the pain appears in the right part at the bottom of the abdomen, it is a sign of an inflamed appendicitis. It is located in this area of the peritoneum and causes acute pain.
Often in such a state, nausea, vomiting, and body temperature rises.
What else causes pain in the right side of the abdomen:
- The development of ileitis.When this disease inflames the small intestine. Characteristic for men 20-40 years. This ailment is provoked by bacteria, viruses and worms that enter the body. The lower abdomen is filled with pain, increased gas and flatulence appear, nausea turns into vomiting and diarrhea appears. If the disease becomes chronic, the mucous membranes in the small intestine atrophy.
- The presence of Crohn's disease. It affects any part of the gastrointestinal tract, forming transverse cracks. Chronic inflammation and severe pain are observed. Accompanied by vomiting, nausea, fever and sharply reduced weight.
- The presence of urolithiasis. This disease produces stones that affect the organs of the genitourinary system. There are dull nagging pains in the right side, vomiting and nausea. In acute forms, the temperature rises, and blood is observed in the urine.
Sometimes pain in men, covering the lower abdomen, is given to the lumbar region. What diseases can they signal:
- The appearance of renal colic. Malaise occurs when urolithiasis. Strong sensation disturbs during urination. It is cramping and sharp. Gives to the organs of the reproductive system, in the leg, groin and lumbar region. With this disease in men, it is impossible to lead a normal life. Immediate medical intervention is required.
- The development of cystitis. With this disease, an inflammatory process occurs. Its area of localization is the bladder. There is an unpleasant pain piercing character. It covers several areas at once: it can be delivered to the foot, to the groin area, the genitals and the loins.
- Inflammation of the appendix. This is a common disease that occurs in both women and men. The pain is localized in the lower abdomen, especially in its right side. Sometimes signs of pain can be found in the groin or lower back.
- Hernia in the groin. This disease in men is a protrusion of the internal organs of the peritoneum in the groin area. This disease can occur as in the presence of pain, so without it. A swelling occurs in the abdomen, which can affect the condition of the whole organism. The nature of the pain, if it manifests itself, depends on the degree of development of the disease. Initially there is a sharp severe pain, which gradually increases. Pain in the groin, abdomen and lower back is spreading.
- The manifestation of sigmoiditis. This inflammatory process covers the area of the sigmoid colon. Pain in the abdomen, especially below, often gives in the legs and lumbar region.
- The formation of prostate adenoma. This is a benign growth characterized by the proliferation of prostate tissue in men. When this disease has difficulty urinating. There are pains that are accompanied by a feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder. There are frequent urge to urinate, which often accompany the terrible sensations in the abdomen, especially below. Often they are felt in the lower back.
- The occurrence of orchitis. In men, the testicle becomes inflamed. If it is an acute form of the disease, it is accompanied by pain. They are often palpable in the lower back, in the perineum and in the groin.
The testicles increase in size, their redness is noted, and the affected organ covers a strong inflammatory process.
In the lower abdomen, men may experience nagging pains. Why does this happen and what are the causes of pain? The answer is obvious - this is the result of the development of prostatitis.
This disease affects a huge amount of strong sex around the world. Inflamed prostate, which is localized down from the bladder. The disease can be associated with an infection or without its participation.
- The sharp fall of the immune system
- Cold due to hypothermia
- Low physical activity
- Addiction to bad habits
- Lack of sex life for a long period of time
All this provokes inflammation, because the secret in the gland is stagnant.
When an infection is detected:
- Various genital infections
- Urinary system diseases that have acquired a chronic form and have the infectious nature of education
- Any inflammatory processes that the patient suffers from.
This disease can be transmitted to the circulatory system, lymphatic and urogenital. The pain is felt in the abdomen, especially below.
In addition, it gives to different departments and manifests itself in different ways. It happens that worries in the lower back, groin, anus and back.
Unfortunately, in the presence of prostatitis and other external factors, a malignant formation in the prostate gland is possible. This problem is very acute and covers an increasing number of the male population.
Causes are diseases that are ignored. In the absence of proper treatment, there may be serious consequences leading to such severe forms.
External factors include malnutrition, all kinds of diets that are very harmful to health and the presence of harmful substances in food (carcinogens).
It is very important to monitor the quality of food, maintain a healthy lifestyle and be examined regularly by a doctor. If prostatitis is detected, they must undergo a full course of treatment until complete recovery.
Exclude all provoking factors and normalize a healthy diet.
If there is pain in the groin area, there are certain reasons for this. You should listen to all the symptoms to determine the disease. How does this happen:
- Due to blockage of the urinary canal, inflammation occurs, resulting in renal colic. Initially, the pain appears in the lower back, then forms in the lower abdomen, and then gives in the groin and legs.
- Acute form of cystitis. All mucous membranes are inflamed in the bladder. Going to the toilet becomes a test, because urination becomes very painful, but frequent. Often there are bloody discharge with urine. In this case, the patient experiences a terrible feeling at the location of the inguinal zone. Often the pain spreads throughout the abdomen, lower back and gives to the anus.
- Inflammation of the prostate. Sore lower abdomen, groin and lower back. Initially pulls the stomach, then paroxysmal manifestations can be observed.
- When inflammation of the appendix, there are different pains. From aching pain to strong attacks. It is important not to tighten, and call an ambulance in time.
- If there is congestion in the intestines, a problem occurs, called intestinal obstruction. In addition to unpleasant symptoms and health problems, it causes severe pain, covering the lower abdomen, groin and lower back in men. This problem often affects the female body.
- The formation of inguinal hernia. Due to strong physical exertion, a hernia is formed in the inguinal zone in men. It looks like a protrusion of the internal organs in the area under the skin and is not always accompanied by pain. But if they appear, they cover the entire lumbar region, groin area, abdomen, and back, especially below.
- Due to inflammation of the testicles, orchitis is formed. This disease occurs with additional manifestations in the form of pain effects, covering the organ itself and its appendages. There is redness, inflammation and an increase in shape.
If you find the first unpleasant symptoms, be sure to go to the hospital.
An experienced doctor will be able to conduct a full examination and diagnosis of the body, make the correct diagnosis, prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Self-treatment of such diseases is contraindicated, since they have the same signs and can be confused with other diseases.
Some physicians can only be diagnosed by a doctor, using test results and additional research.
It is necessary to consistently pass a medical commission to identify health problems in the early stages of development.
Sometimes this not only can ease the path to recovery, but also save lives. Self-medication is harmful to health and can be dangerous.
Pain in the left lobe
There are many reasons for which there may be severe pain in the left side, but a number of major ones stand out:
- gastritis or gastroduodenitis,
- acute enlargement of the spleen,
- myocardial spleen,
- spleen abscess,
- twisting spleen,
- chronic myeloid and lymphocytic leukemia,
- Crohn's disease,
- atypical location of the inflamed appendix,
- sigmoid diverticulosis,
- irritable bowel syndrome,
- sigmoid cancer,
- urolithiasis disease,
- intestinal obstruction.
Pain in the right lobe
In most cases, the pain on the right lower side of the abdomen speaks of appendicitis, but a number of such problems are also possible:
- inflammation of the right kidney or ureter,
- Crohn's disease,
- ulcerative colitis, in progression,
- spinal diseases
Pain in the groin area
Abdominal pain that spreads to the groin area in a man most often occurs in the presence of the following diseases:
- acute prostatitis and exacerbation of chronic prostatitis,
- bladder cancer
- prostate cancer,
Chronic pelvic pain syndrome is an unpleasant and fairly common condition in men when the feeling of heaviness, discomfort, distention is present in the lower abdomen and affects all areas of a man's life: his potency, ability to enjoy life and express positive in the system of values.
Symptoms of diseases of the lower abdomen
To find out which doctor to seek medical help, it is necessary to determine all the perceptible abnormalities of the body, the presence of discomfort in the area of the organs.
As a result of such anamnesis collection, 90% of the causes of this symptom can be identified. But such a diagnosis is prohibited in the case of the development of acute and prolonged pain, and you should immediately call an ambulance or contact the surgical department of the CRH.
In order to conduct a quick self-test, you only need to compare the pain and symptoms with the following diseases:
- Constipation and bloating. In most cases, constipation and bloating occur when the upper intestinal tract is disturbed or if heavy and poorly digested food is consumed. There are colic, spasms that occur during the bursting of the walls of gases and fecal masses.
- Dysbacteriosis. It develops as an independent disease or as a result of taking antibiotics. Fungi, pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic microorganisms irritate the intestinal wall, thereby causing colic and discomfort in the lower abdomen in men. Depending on the type of microorganism and the state of health, the symptoms increase over several days.
- Helminthic invasion. Painful sensations appear later on irritation of the mucous membrane by worms. Depending on the type of parasite, the pain may be arching, acute, short-lasting or prolonged with spreading throughout the intestine.
- Damage. Causes of pain can be injuries and acute pathologies of internal organs, subsequently developed violations of the integrity of their structures. As a result, there is a sharp pain of a protracted nature or periodic attacks with an increase in the intensity and strength of sensations.
- Peritonitis. Subsequently, violations of the integrity of the structures of hollow internal organs and the outpouring of foreign contents into the abdominal cavity develop. The disease begins acutely with an increase in symptoms. Depending on the location of the damage and the nature of the contents, the first signs may appear anywhere in the intestine and spread rapidly.
- Neuritis of the sciatic nerve. Characterized by the development of the inflammatory process of the sciatic nerve as a result of intervertebral compression or traumatic damage to the structure of nerve fibers. Depending on the location and extent of the damage, the pain spreads to different innervated areas - to the hip, right or left iliac region and lower abdomen.
- Spinal injuries. Spinal injuries lead to infringement of the roots of peripheral nerve fibers and inflammation with pain and tunnel syndrome, paresis, or paralysis of the innervated surface. Injuries to the lumbar spine often result in pain in the right or left iliac region radiating to the leg.
- Abdominal trauma. Subsequently, a traumatic effect, bruises of organs, violations of their integrity and hematomas are formed. As a result, pains of a different nature appear depending on the extent and location of the injury.
- Diseases of the urinary system. It is characterized by inflammatory processes of the urinary system, subsequently influences of bacteria or fungi. Manifested by colic in the region of the kidneys and the waist, radiating to the bladder and down the abdomen. Inflammations of the bladder are manifested by pains in the lower abdomen, which are aggravated by 10% filling and during urination.
- Vesiculitis, testicular torsion and orchitis. They are manifested by pain in the groin area radiating to the lower extremities, the pelvic organs and the lower abdomen. Sometimes the sensations become unbearable and require the introduction of painkillers. Often there is an irradiation to the sacrum during urination or an act of defecation. With orchitis and torsion of the testicle, the scrotum swells with its constant soreness.
- Acute intestinal obstruction. It develops as a result of intestinal blockage with fecal masses, foreign bodies and adhesive walls. The intestinal lumen is blocked and its functioning stops.
- Neoplasms and Oncology. Under the influence of environmental factors or genetic predisposition, tumors appear in the pelvic cavity. Depending on the characteristics of their structure, location and degree of damage to the internal organs, they cause pain and discomfort.
- Appendicitis. The cause of pain is an inflamed appendix. The disease develops acutely or gradually, with an increase in symptoms subsequently circulatory disorders, lesions of the mucous membrane of a bacterial infection or blockage of the lumen of the appendix. Depending on the characteristics of the male body, pain at the beginning of the inflammatory process may appear in any part of the abdominal cavity. Gradually, the acute pain is concentrated in the right iliac region.
- Prostatitis. Inflammation of the prostate gland that occurs in men over 35 years of age, on the background of impaired blood circulation and an increase in the size of the prostate. Such inflammations are caused by a bacterial infection that enters the gland through the blood and the ascending ways of the urinary system. At first, there is discomfort when urinating, which gradually turns into sharp cutting pains in the lower part of the abdominal cavity. A distinctive symptom is an increase in temperature, pain in the rectum during bowel movements, false desires with an empty bladder. If the disease is not treated, after a while there is a problem with urination and acute urinary retention.
- Hemorrhoids. Subsequently, the expansion of the vessels of the rectum, nodes are formed.After some time, they become inflamed and cause discomfort in the anus, radiating pain to the suprapubic area. A distinctive symptom is the appearance on the surface of the fecal masses of the vein of blood and increasing discomfort in the anus.
- Hernia. As a result of lifting weights, a bulge may appear in the right or left iliac region, which becomes more painful every minute. Discomfort increases and spreads as intestinal loops are pinched. For such events, you should immediately seek medical attention.
Constipation and bloating
In normal general health, the problem is solved on its own, less commonly used drugs and physiological procedures. With a diet, relapses stop and rarely go into acute or chronic form.
Therapeutic measures to eliminate constipation and bloating at home are conducted only if there is confidence that the cause of sensations is temporary physiological abnormalities. In case of intestinal obstruction within 3 to 4 days, persistent pain or non-efficacy of drugs, you should consult a surgeon or a gastroenterologist for advice.
For treatment use:
- laxatives - duphalac, normase and others,
- anti-bloating drugs - espumizan, motilium and activated carbon,
- Additionally, you can spend a cleansing enema, to remove fecal masses from the large intestine.
The use of medicines at home is allowed only in cases where there is no prolonged diarrhea, constipation or signs of an infectious disease. Before using the drugs you need to consult a gastroenterologist.
For treatment use:
- antifungal drugs - fluconazole, caspofungin,
- preparations of normal intestinal microflora - bifiform, bifidumbacterin.
Characteristics of pain syndrome
The appearance in men of pain in the lower abdomen can be observed at any age. If such signs appear, it is necessary to contact specialists to find out the causes. It is important to inform the doctor about the nature of the pain syndrome, which can be:
If the lower abdomen hurts in men, when describing the condition, it is necessary to pay attention to the area where the pain is being given. Whether this syndrome increases during movement, it is connected with food intake, how long the attack lasts, in which part it is localized. In order to make a correct diagnosis and start treatment, the doctor must consider the presence of associated symptoms:
- urination disorders
- increase body temperature
- discharge from the penis,
Why there is pain in the lower abdomen in men
In the area of the pelvis are vital organs, inflammatory processes which may be accompanied by pain. Men often have abnormalities in the lower abdomen, caused by an infectious lesion. Independently find out the cause of pain is impossible, so you need to contact the experts:
Pain causes abnormalities in the lower abdominal systems:
- Urinary. This may be a sudden renal colic, frequent attacks with burning during urination in the case of cystitis, pulsation with obstruction of the urinary canals.
- Sexual. The pain often accompanies the sexual act, it is acute when torsion of the testicle, cutting with prostatitis.
- Digestive. The nature of pain, localization depends on the pathologies of the digestive tract.
- Peripheral nervous system. Has a character radiating down the abdomen with spinal diseases.
If the pains progress gradually over a long time with increasing intensity, this indicates the development of inflammation. In this case, men can be caused by diseases of various organs located below the abdominal cavity. These include the following pathologies:
Peripheral nervous system
- osteocondritis of the spine,
- herniated intervertebral discs.
Frequent, pulling, radiating from the lumbar region
Inflammation of the sciatic nerve
Shooting, sharp, starts lower back, can go to the stomach
Large intestinal diverticulosis
Spasmodic, localization on the left
Cholecystitis - an inflammatory process in the gallbladder
It is observed on the right, increases after fatty food, alcohol
Orchitis - testicular inflammation
Strong, sharp, radiating to the groin, crotch
Vesiculitis - defeat seminal vesicles
Increases during bowel movements, gives to the sacrum
Inflammation of the prostate gland in men occurs as a result of infection under the influence of many provoking factors. The disease is accompanied by prolonged nagging pains, pain and burning during urination are not excluded. In addition to localization at the bottom of the abdominal cavity, they can occur in the area:
- the anus,
- lower back
Prostate disease may be complicated by such pathological processes as:
- Adenoma - benign proliferation of glandular tissues. Accompanied by a burning sensation, painful sensations when urinating, pain radiating to the lower back.
- Prostate cancer. The syndrome manifests itself in the perineum, pelvic bones, spine.
Pathology of the bladder
Abdominal pain often provoke diseases of the urinary system. They are accompanied by discomfort. Often occurring pathology of the bladder in men:
- Cystitis - is characterized by severe aching pain, burning and cramps during urination.
- Urethritis - inflammation of the urethra. Symptoms are localized in the middle, in the pubic region, aggravated during sex.
- Bladder cancer. As the pathology progresses, the pains become permanent, strong, accompany the process of urination.
Acute pain in the lower abdomen in men can occur with urolithiasis, when conglomerates move along the urinary tract. It is characterized by spasms in the lumbar region, often gives up. The appearance of pain may be accompanied by such renal dysfunction:
- pyelonephritis - localization in the lower back, manifested below and above the abdomen,
- kidney prolapse - is intense,
- cysts, tumors - gives from the lumbar, has a dull, cramping shape.
Anatomy of the lower abdomen in men
In medicine, the front wall of the abdomen is conventionally divided into three parts:
In the epigastric region, located directly below the xiphoid process, three segments are distinguished - the right hypochondrium, the epigastrium itself, and the left hypochondrium.
The mesogastric region is the middle of the abdomen and consists of the right lateral region, the umbilical region, as well as the left lateral region.
The hypogastric region is the lower abdomen and consists of the right iliac region, the suprapubic region, and the left iliac region.
In men, the following organs are projected in the lower abdomen:
- in the right iliac region - cecum, terminal ileum and appendix (appendix), the lower part of the right ureter,
- in the suprapubic region - the bladder, the lower parts of the ureters and the small intestine loops,
- in the left iliac region - sigmoid and rectum, loops of the small intestine, lower part of the left ureter.
Paired organ of the urinary system. The buds have a bean-shaped shape, a smooth surface, dark red color. They are located near the posterior abdominal wall on the sides of the spine. This organ filters and excretes decay products from the body. Thus, the kidneys clean the blood, maintain the blood pressure of a person, maintain the necessary level of salt concentration and water balance in the body.
The connective tissue fibrous capsule covers the outside of the kidney.
In the inner part of the kidney are distinguished:
- outer layerconsisting of a cortical substance,
- inner layerconsisting of medulla,
- funnel cavityconsisting of renal cups and pelvis.
Unpaired hollow organ of the excretory system. The bladder is located in the pelvis and acts as a reservoir of urine. On average, an adult human bladder volume ranges from two hundred and fifty to five hundred milliliters. The extensibility of the bladder walls is predetermined by the peculiarity of the structure of its muscles. Two ureters flow into the bladder, through which urine flows into the organ. The lower part of the bladder narrows and gradually passes into the urethra. The latter, in turn, serves to remove urine. In men, unlike in women, the urethra is longer and narrower.
The mechanism of action of the bladder is dictated by the functions that it is intended to perform. First, there is an accumulation of urine in the bladder, and then when the capacity of the bladder reaches the physiological norm (within two hundred - two hundred fifty milliliters), the person has the urge to urinate. At the same time, complex neuroreflex mechanisms are activated, which cause the muscular layer of the bladder to contract. In addition to this, for urination, it is necessary to open the exit from the bladder, that is, to relax the sphincter (circular muscle) retaining urine.
The human digestive system, located between the stomach and the colon. The small intestine is a cohesive tube four to seven meters long. Here is a large part of the digestive process. The inner wall of the small intestine forms folds, which are covered with tiny filaments - intestinal villi. Thanks to the villus, the food gruel (chyme) coming from the stomach. The liquid part of chyme enters the lymphatic system and is safely excreted from the body. All the nutrients of the food gruel are absorbed into the blood and are carried through the blood to various organs and tissues.
The small intestine has three subdivisions:
The finished part of the digestive tract.The length of the colon on average is one and a half - two meters. In the colon, the chyme digestion process is completed. The mucous membrane of the large intestine sucks up all the remaining water and the food gruel gradually acquires the appearance of a decorated feces. Ultimately, feces naturally excreted from the body.
The colon also has three subdivisions:
- cecum with appendage (appendix),
- the colon, which includes the ascending colon, the transverse colon, the descending colon and the sigmoid colon,
- the rectum, in which distinguish the ampulla of the rectum (wider part) anal canal (narrowing part) and anus (final part).
- seminal vesicles
Prostate (prostate) is part of the male reproductive system. It is located in front of the rectum directly under the bladder. The prostate gland surrounds the urethra - a tube through which urine from the bladder is brought out through the penis. The weight of the prostate gland is about thirty grams. Its size and shape of the prostate is reminiscent of chestnut.
The prostate gland is directly involved in the formation of seminal fluid - the main part of the sperm, as well as its release into the urethra during ejaculation (ejaculation). At the same time, during an erection, the prostate blocks the exit from the bladder, thereby limiting the access of urine to the urethra. The functions of the prostate are closely related to the activity of the testes, adrenal glands, thyroid and pituitary.
Usually the size of the prostate increases with age (due to hormonal changes). This condition is called benign prostatic hyperplasia. Up to a certain age, the prostate that is changed in size does not manifest itself. However, over time, the growth of the prostate gland leads to squeezing of the urethra, and in most elderly men, urination disorders are observed, manifested by difficulty urinating and a feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder. In addition, benign prostatic hyperplasia increases the risk of an infectious-inflammatory process in the urinary tract.
What structures can inflame in the lower abdomen in men?
Abdominal pain can be caused by damage to the following organs and structures:
- seminal vesicles
- prostate gland
- the kidneys,
- small intestine (ileum),
- large intestine (appendix, blind, sigmoid colon and rectum).
Responsible for the formation, accumulation and elimination of urine from the human body.
The composition of the urinary system includes the following organs:
Among the existing pathologies of the urinary system, the following diseases can cause lower abdominal pain:
- urolithiasis disease,
- bladder cancer
Nonspecific infectious-inflammatory disease of the kidneys with a primary lesion of the pectoral-pelvic system, tubules and connective tissue of the organ (interstices). Penetration of infection in the kidney is carried out by hematogenous (through blood) or most often in the ascending way, in which urine is thrown from the bladder into the ureter.
Often in older men, the disease occurs against the background of prostate adenoma. Quite often, pyelonephritis is a complication of urolithiasis.
Chronic disease manifested by the formation of stones (stones) in the organs of the urinary system (eg kidney, ureter, bladder). Urolithiasis is a fairly common disease, regardless of gender and age.
The formation of insoluble salts, from which the stones are actually formed, is associated with metabolic disorders (for example, disorders of mineral or protein metabolism). The size of the stones can reach one to two kilograms, and their number can vary from one to several hundred.
Predisposing factors for urolithiasis are:
- unhealthy diet (for example, the abuse of meat, as well as spicy, sour and fatty foods),
- the presence of various chronic infectious diseases of the genitourinary system,
- genetic predisposition
- sedentary lifestyle,
- adverse environmental conditions,
- anatomical defects of the urinary tract (for example, abnormal development of the kidneys, narrowing of the ureters).
Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the bladder. In most cases, the cause of cystitis in men is an infection that enters the bladder with the bloodstream for other inflammatory diseases (for example, for urethritis or prostatitis).
Predisposing factors for the development of this disease are:
- hormonal disorders,
- bladder mucosa injury,
- reduced immunity
- blood stagnation in the pelvic veins.
A malignant tumor that grows in the mucous membrane or in the wall of the bladder. The causes of bladder cancer are not reliably elucidated.
Predisposing factors include:
- harmful working conditions (for example, workers in the production of rubber and plastic products, miners),
- the presence of diseases that violate the flow of urine (for example, prostatitis, urolithiasis),
- genetic predisposition.
Cancer in the initial stages practically does not manifest itself. However, later, with the progression of the disease, the man develops pain and dysuric (urinary symptoms) syndrome.
The main symptoms of bladder cancer are:
- the presence of blood in the urine
- frequent painful urination,
- lower abdominal pain
- back pain.
It is a set of organs responsible for reproduction.
Male genital organs are divided into:
- vas deferens,
- seminal vesicles
- bulbourethral glands.
- prostate adenoma,
- prostate cancer
- testicular torsion,
A fairly common disease in which a particularly male organ becomes inflamed is the prostate gland. This disease can occur in acute and chronic form.
Causes of prostatitis can be divided into two groups:
- non-infectious - due, for example, to reduced immunity, hypothermia, due to a sedentary inactive lifestyle,
- infectious - due to the penetration of infections into the prostate tissue (eg bacteria, viruses, fungi).
- hormonal disorders,
- circulatory disorders in the pelvic organs,
- injuries of the pelvic organs.
A malignant tumor that grows from the tissue of the prostate glands. The true cause of this disease is unknown.
Risk factors include:
- hormonal disorders (in particular a surplus of the hormone testosterone),
- genetic predisposition
- the presence of progressive prostate adenoma,
- elderly age.
Early symptoms of prostate cancer include:
- frequent urination,
- weak urination of intermittent nature,
- the presence of blood in urine and semen,
- pain in the perineum.
- pain in the bones of the pelvis, hip, spine,
- chest pain,
- general malaise,
- active weight loss.
This disease is characterized by pain, as well as a disorder of male sexual function.
The main symptoms of vesiculitis are:
- pain in the groin, irradiating (giving away) in the area of the sacrum and aggravated by the act of defecation or in the presence of a full bladder,
- painful erection and ejaculation
- the presence of blood in semen
- urination disorders - difficulty, frequent, painful,
- pus may be excreted in the urine or with semen.
The system of digestive organs, referred to as the gastrointestinal tract, processes food to further extract nutrients necessary for the body from it. While the nutrients are absorbed into the blood and bodice, and unnecessary, not digested residues through the rectum are removed from the body.
Nonspecific granulomatous inflammatory disease in which all parts of the gastrointestinal tract can be affected. For Crohn's disease, it is characteristic that the developing inflammatory process affects all layers of the digestive tube. At the same time, pathological formations (for example, ulcers, abscesses, fissures, fistulas). The course of the disease is usually recurrent (repeating) character with a tendency to seasonal exacerbations. The exact cause of this disease has not yet been identified.
Risk factors include:
- genetic predisposition
- viral and bacterial infections
- reduced immunity.
The complex of functional digestive disorders that occur in the intestine. The true cause of this disease is unknown. However, most often irritable bowel syndrome is observed in those people who are more prone to stress.
Predisposing factors are also:
- violation of the diet,
- low fiber intake,
- sedentary lifestyle,
- hormonal disorders due to various diseases (for example, diabetes, hypothyroidism),
- intestinal dysbiosis (microbial imbalance state).
Inflammation of the appendix cecum.
The following pathological conditions can lead to the development of appendicitis:
- violation of the discharge of feces and their stagnation,
- various chronic diseases of the abdominal organs (for example, colitis, enteritis), against which there is an inflection of the process of cicatricial adhesions,
- some infectious diseases (for example, tuberculosis, typhoid fever), independently causing appendicitis,
- abdominal trauma,
- anomalies of the structure of the appendix,
- blockage of the appendix gate with undigested food particles (for example, sunflower seed husks, grape seeds).
A syndrome characterized by complete or partial impairment of the advancement of the contents of the intestinal tract due to intestinal dysfunction.
The main causes of intestinal obstruction are:
- mechanical blockage of the intestinal lumen due to pathological formations (for example, adhesions, tumors, gallstones) or because of the construction of foreign bodies in the body,
- violation of intestinal motility associated with changes in the dietary regime (for example, a plentiful meal on the background of a long fast, excessive consumption of high-calorie foods),
- the presence of inflammatory diseases of the abdominal cavity (for example, pancreatitis, appendicitis),
- long-term use of certain drugs (for example, narcotic analgesics, anesthetics).
Violation of bowel movements, manifested by a decrease in stool frequency (less than three times a week).
Among the many causes of chronic constipation, the most frequent are:
- violation of intestinal motility due to ignoring the urge to defecate, malnutrition, stressful situations,
- taking certain medications (for example, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, narcotic analgesics)
- structural disorders of the large intestine (eg, diverticular disease, ischemia),
- irritable bowel syndrome.
Chronic inflammatory disease that affects the mucous membrane of the colon. Currently, the true cause of the disease is unknown.
Predisposing factors include:
- genetic predisposition
- taking antibacterial drugs
- reduced immunity.
Pathological process characterized by the formation of small sacculate protrusions (diverticula) in the wall of the colon. Intestinal diverticula may be acquired or congenital. The main reason for their occurrence is unknown. In most cases, this is due to an increase in intraintestinal pressure.
Predisposing factors for colon diverticulosis are:
- unhealthy diet (for example, consumption of predominantly flour products or animal products, insufficient consumption of water and fiber),
- sedentary lifestyle,
- frequent constipation
- developmental anomalies of the colon,
- ischemic colitis
- circulatory disorders of the intestine,
- elderly age,
- genetic predisposition.
Usually, diverticulosis of the colon is asymptomatic.
In some cases (for example, when the process is running) signs of disease can be:
- spastic pains, usually localized in the left side of the abdomen,
- violation of the chair, most often in the form of constipation,
- the presence of blood in the feces,
- sleep disturbance,
A malignant tumor that grows from the mucous membrane lining the rectal wall.
Among the main reasons for increasing the risk of developing a malignant tumor in the colon, there are:
- genetic predisposition
- elderly age,
- unhealthy diet (for example, insufficient consumption of foods of plant origin, the prevalence in the diet of meat, fat and flour dishes),
- frequent constipation
- diseases of the large intestine (for example, polyps, colitis).
In the early stage of the disease, colon cancer does not manifest itself.
In the process of tumor growth, the patient may experience the following symptoms:
- state of weakness and weakness
- prolonged dull aching pains in the abdomen,
- loss of appetite
- weight loss,
- pallor of the skin,
Peripheral nervous system
Among the diseases of the peripheral nervous system, pain in the lower abdomen can cause inflammation of the sciatic nerve.This condition is characterized by pinching the roots of the lumbosacral spinal cord. Most often, inflammation of the sciatic nerve occurs against the background of a herniated disc, at which a nerve is compressed.
For this disease, a characteristic symptom is shooting pain that spreads from the lower back to the back of the thigh. In this case, pain can change the feeling of tingling, burning, numbness. Often, pain is localized in the lumbar region and radiates (gives away) in the buttock, as well as the groin area.
The collection of information that the doctor receives by questioning the patient (if necessary, people close to him are interviewed).
The history itself consists of two main sections:
- anamnesis of life,
- history of the disease.
Medical history of the disease - is a collection of information about the disease, which is currently worrying the patient. Here, the doctor needs to receive information on how the disease began and developed, what the dynamics of the symptoms are and what actions were taken by the patient himself (call to the doctor, medication).
For pain in the abdomen, the necessary information is:
- start of pain (for example, acute or gradual development of pain),
- nature of pain (for example, dull, aching, throbbing, stabbing or compressing),
- pain intensity (eg mild, moderate or severe intensity),
- localization and radiation of pain (locating painful sensations),
- duration of pain (for example, quickly subsiding either lasting a few hours or days),
- the presence of factors that provoke or increase pain in the lower abdomen (eg food intake, exercise),
- presence of pain relief factors (for example, a certain position of the patient),
- the presence of associated symptoms (for example, nausea, fever, upset stool, bleeding).
The complex of diagnostic measures that the doctor performs with the help of improvised means and sensory organs.
Physical examination includes the following manipulations:
- examination of the patient
Inspection of the patient produced in a vertical and horizontal position. In order for all parts of the body to be available for inspection, the patient's body must be sufficiently exposed. The inspection should be carried out in a special room with the optimum temperature (19 - 23 degrees) and in natural light.
During the general examination of the patient, special attention is paid to the following indicators:
- the general condition of the patient
- state of consciousness
- body temperature
- body position
- the condition of the skin and visible mucous membranes,
- condition of lymph nodes.
Manual examination, in which the patient's body is felt. This research method allows to evaluate the properties of tissues and organs - their position, shape, size, tenderness and topographical ratio.Normally, the palpation of the abdomen is soft and painless.
Palpation of the abdomen is carried out in the position of the patient lying down. At the same time, the doctor with his fingertips pushes against the examined surface of the skin and in a circular motion feels the internal organs. Initially, palpation begins in the left iliac region, where the sigmoid colon is palpable. After that, in the right ileum, the terminal ileum, the cecum and the appendix are examined. Next, the right and left lateral area is palpated, where the doctor determines the state of the ascending and descending part of the colon. Complete palpation in the epigastric proper area. Palpation of painful areas of the body is always done last.
When an inflammatory lesion of an organ occurs, tension in the abdominal wall and a positive symptom of Shchetkin-Blumberg (sharp increase in pain). To identify this symptom, the patient is pressed on the area of the abdomen with a palpating hand, and then the arm is quickly removed. If there is a sharp increase in pain, Shchetkin-Blumberg symptom is considered positive. An increase and pain in the inguinal and perineal lymph nodes usually indicates an inflammatory process in the prostate gland.
Analysis of sound phenomena that occur when tapping individual parts of the patient's body. This study allows to determine the topography, physical condition and function of internal organs.
Listening to the sounds generated during the functioning of the internal organs. During auscultation of the abdominal cavity, a phonendoscope is used, and with it, intestinal noise is heard. For example, a loud rumbling in the intestines may indicate an increased organ motility caused by an existing inflammatory process.
The set of methods aimed at the analysis of the studied biological material.
To diagnose diseases that provoked lower abdominal pain, the following laboratory tests are performed:
- general blood analysis,
- blood chemistry,
- clinical (common) Analysis of urine,
- urethra smear,
- obtaining prostate secretion.
This laboratory diagnostic method allows you to examine blood cells (red blood cells, platelets, white blood cells), their parameters, hemoglobin level, leukogram and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). In inflammatory diseases that cause pain in the lower abdomen, the results of this analysis revealed an increased white blood cell count and an accelerated erythrocyte sedimentation rate.
In acute prostatitis in the clinical analysis of blood there is an increase in the concentration of leukocytes due to a population of neutrophils and a decrease in the number of eosinophils.
Blood sampling is carried out from the ring finger of the left hand or from the cubital vein.
According to the results of this method of laboratory diagnostics, the functional work of the internal organs is assessed (for example, liver, kidney) and systems (for example, digestive, urinary). It also determines the level of liver and kidney hormones and diagnoses active inflammatory processes. For example, increased C-reactive protein in most cases may indicate an acute inflammation of the prostate gland. Blood sampling is performed from the cubital vein.
Laboratory method of diagnosis, allowing to investigate the physico-chemical properties of urine, as well as microscopically evaluate the sediment. Urinalysis is an indispensable diagnostic tool for diseases of the urinary tract.For example, an increased number of leukocytes in the urine or urinary sediment indicates the presence of an inflammatory process in the organs of the urogenital system. The appearance of red blood cells in the sample indicates urolithiasis. With the help of a clinical analysis of urine are diagnosed abnormalities in the kidneys. For delivery of the analysis as a urinal the special container is used.
Bacteriological smear from the urethra
Laboratory analysis to identify microbes and determine their number. Bacteriological smear is used to identify inflammatory processes localized in the prostate gland and urethra, as well as to detect various sexually transmitted diseases (for example, gonorrhea, chlamydia). Biological material is taken from the urethra with a sterile swab or a special probe.
Microscopic examination of prostate secretion
This study reveals the presence of epithelial cells, erythrocytes, leukocytes, as well as various pathogens of infectious diseases of the genitourinary system (for example, Trichomonas, gonococci).
The secretion from the prostate gland is obtained at the end of a digital prostate exam. With a digital examination, the patient should slightly spread his legs and lean forward. After that, the doctor, wearing a rubber glove, inserts the index finger into the patient's anus, with the other hand holding it to the buttock. Finger examination of the prostate gland begins with stroking and palpation of the septenary sites. Next is the massaging of the prostate, which determines the necessary parameters of the glandular organ (eg size, shape, texture, tenderness). When inflammation of the prostate gland, the doctor notes an enlarged prostate, its soreness and swelling. As a rule, it is hot to the touch and overly stretched. A finger study ends with a prostate massage, after which the secret of the prostate gland is secreted from the urethra. All discharge from the urethra must be applied to a previously prepared glass slide. After that, the obtained biological material is sent to the laboratory for additional research under a microscope. It should be noted that during and after the procedure, the patient may experience weakness and dizziness.
Since the main causes of lower abdominal pain in men are associated with diseases of the urogenital system and pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, consultation with specialists such as andrologist and proctologist is strongly recommended. Also, a patient with abdominal pain should consult a surgeon in the first two hours after the onset of acute pain.
Instrumental research methods include:
- X-ray examination
- endoscopic diagnosis
- anorectal and colonic manometry.
The study of internal anatomical structures using x-rays that pass through the organs and tissues of the patient, but are not absorbed to the same extent. Then the projection image is displayed on the monitor (with fluoroscopy) or special paper (with radiography). X-ray images help the doctor to determine the localization and extent of the identified pathological changes, allow you to diagnose various diseases.
For example, when conducting an X-ray examination of the colon (irrigoscopya patient is injected into the anus with a enema by a contrast agent through which X-rays cannot penetrate.This procedure allows you to particularly well see all the defects in the colon.
Conducting irrigoscopy allows you to identify various diseases and pathological processes, for example:
- nonspecific ulcerative colitis,
- Crohn's disease,
- colon tumors,
- diverticula of the large intestine.
Endoscopic examination methods are carried out using special medical equipment. In this case, the main instrument is the endoscope - an optical device embedded in a flexible or rigid tube. Any endoscopic procedure is that the patient through the natural openings of the body (for example, urethra, anus) the endoscope is inserted, and with its help the cavity of this or that organ is examined. This procedure allows you to identify various pathological changes in the test organ (for example, ulcers, erosion, tumors). Also, with the help of modern endoscopic equipment, a number of surgical interventions can be performed (for example, remove foreign bodies) and make a collection of cells or tissues from the test body for additional laboratory research.
Depending on the studied organ, various types of endoscopic examination are used. For example, for the inspection of the rectum and sigmoid colon, sigmoidoscopy is performed. If necessary, examine the bladder assigned cystoscopy. As for the colonoscopy, with this endoscopic examination, the mucous membrane of the colon is examined.
A diagnostic method in which the human body is exposed to high-frequency sound waves. The sound waves directed on the studied site tend to be reflected from heterogeneous organs and tissues. At the same time, a characteristic image in the form of a tissue slice is reproduced on the computer monitor.
An ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity assesses the state of the prostate, kidney and bladder, and also identifies various inflammatory processes and pathological formations (for example, tumors, diverticula, calculus).
Ultrasound sees only the front of the internal organs of the pelvis. To obtain a complete three-dimensional picture, it is necessary to conduct a pelvic magnetic resonance imaging. This study is based on measuring the electromagnetic response of atomic nuclei. In the event that the procedure of magnetic resonance imaging does not reveal any pathological formations, and the person has pain, then it is recommended to contact a neurologist.
Anorectal and colonic manometry
Functional diagnostic test that records pressure in the colon. Using anorectal and colonic manometry, the motor capacity of the large intestine is assessed, the tone of the anal sphincters is determined, and the actions of all parts of the large intestine are coordinated. Before starting the procedure, a multifunctional water-perfusion catheter is installed in the gastrointestinal tract of the patient.
What to do with lower abdominal pain in men?
For all acute inflammatory diseases of the abdominal cavity, there is a collective term “acute abdomen”. If an acute stomach is suspected, a special action plan is implemented, the quality of implementation of which can depend on a person’s life.
So when providing first aid to a patient with symptoms of an acute abdomen, it is strictly prohibited to administer analgesics (painkillers) and narcotic painkillers, as their use may mask the true cause of pain. It is also unacceptable to use food and water, washing the stomach and intestines, taking laxatives and applying heat to the affected area.In this case, the patient is urgently hospitalized in the nearest surgical department.
For pain in the lower abdomen in men, the following therapy may be indicated:
- drug treatment of pain,
- antibiotic therapy
- endoscopic treatment
- diet therapy.
Drug treatment of pain syndrome
In the treatment of chronic pain in the lower abdomen of low and medium intensity, the use of antispasmodic drugs is recommended.
Antispasmodic drugs have the following pharmacological actions:
- reduce the tone of the internal organs and smooth muscles,
- have a vasodilating effect
- produce an anesthetic effect.
For lower abdominal pain, the patient may be prescribed the following nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs:
- ibuprofen (take one tablet 200 mg two to three times a day),
- dexalgin (take one tablet 25 mg two to three times a day),
- diclofenac (take one tablet 75 mg twice a day),
- nimesulide (take one tablet 100 mg twice a day).
It should be noted that exceeding the prescribed dose of the drug may cause the development of undesirable side effects:
- ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract,
- gastrointestinal bleeding,
- toxic effects on red bone marrow,
- nausea and vomiting,
- violation of the chair (diarrhea),
For lower abdominal pain caused by malignant tumors (for example, colon cancer, bladder cancer), a man may be prescribed potent or narcotic analgesics (for example, morphine, tramadol).
Antibiotics are substances of natural or semi-synthetic origin. These drugs inhibit the growth of certain microorganisms and cause their death.
To date, various groups of antibacterial drugs with different chemical structure have been developed and are being successfully used. Before choosing the optimal antibacterial agent, the physician should prescribe a bacterial analysis to the patient to identify the infectious agent and determine its sensitivity to antibiotics. For information about the microbe that provoked the inflammatory process, for example, in the prostate gland, the patient must pass the secret of the prostate. In this case, the secret is obtained by using a finger massage the prostate gland.
Among the recommended groups of antibacterial drugs used in the treatment of the lower urinary tract are the following:
- second generation cephalosporins (for example, drugs cefuroxime, cefaclor),
- nitrofuran derivatives (for example, drugs furazolidone, furaltadone, nitrofural),
- phosphonic acid derivatives (fosfomycin preparation),
- inhibitor protected aminopenicillins (for example, drugs augmentin, amoxiclav, sulbacin).
Endoscopic method for diagnosing the bladder, during which minor therapeutic manipulations can be performed. The cystoscopy procedure is quite painful, especially if it is done for men. This is due to the anatomical features of the male urethra, which, unlike the female, is longer and has two physiological bends. To eliminate pain, cystoscopy is performed under local or general anesthesia.
Using cystoscopy, the following therapeutic procedures are performed:
- removal of small tumor formations,
- fragmentation and removal of small stones from the bladder cavity,
- cauterization of a wound defect in the bladder mucosa,
- stop bleeding.
An endoscopic method for diagnosing the large intestine, during which tumor-like formations are removed and bleeding wound defects in the organ mucosa are cauterized. An indication for a colonoscopy is a suspicion of any disease of the colon. The colonoscopy procedure can be performed without anesthesia or under local anesthesia.
The patient is shown surgery if the causes of pain in the lower abdomen are such diseases and pathological conditions as appendicitis and testicular torsion.
When making a diagnosis of acute appendicitis, the patient needs as soon as possible to perform an operation to remove the inflamed appendix.
The operation to remove the appendix is performed in two ways:
- traditional appendectomy (appendix removal) - using a scalpel carry out a small incision in the right iliac region, remove the appendix and excise it,
- laparoscopic appendectomy - several punctures are performed in the abdominal wall, and an appendix is removed with the help of endoscopic equipment.
Torsion of testicles
Torsion of the testicle is an urgent indication for surgical intervention, since with this disease, irreversible changes in the organ develop very quickly. With the help of the operation produce the unwinding of the testicle. The purpose of surgical intervention is to preserve the body However, upon the occurrence of irreversible changes, such as testicular necrosis, the organ must be removed.
For lower abdominal pain in men, the following physiotherapy treatments can be prescribed:
- UHF (ultra high frequency) - therapy.
It is characterized by the impact on certain parts of the body with a weak impulse current of high voltage, high frequency and low power.
This method of treatment is effectively used in men with prostatitis, cystitis and urinary incontinence (for example, prostate adenoma).
Darsonvalization has the following healing effects:
- improves blood circulation and tissue nutrition
- has a bacteriostatic and bactericidal effect,
- reduces spasm of blood vessels and sphincters, which leads to a reduction in pain.
In case of urinary incontinence, darsonval exposure is performed superficially in the pubic and groin areas.
Contraindications for darsonvalization are malignant tumors, cardiovascular insufficiency, individual intolerance to the current, as well as a tendency to bleed.
Physiotherapeutic method, characterized by exposure to the body of the electromagnetic field of high and ultrahigh frequency. For induction, inductor disks and cables are used.
Induction has the following therapeutic effects:
- promotes the expansion of blood vessels, which leads to an improvement in their blood flow,
- has an anti-inflammatory effect,
- reduces tissue swelling,
- contributes to the resorption of the inflammatory focus.
With this method of treatment on the human body affects the alternating electromagnetic field of high and ultra-high frequency. In UHF, there are two components - thermal and non-thermal.
UHF produces the following healing effects:
- has an anti-inflammatory effect (in diseases of acute and subacute stages),
- stops the growth and reproduction of bacteria,
- boosts local immunity
- improves tissue healing.
Why do men have pain in the lower abdomen to the left?
Pain in the lower abdomen on the left may occur due to various diseases and pathological processes. Usually, pain occurs where the affected organ is located.
The lower abdomen in medicine is called the left iliac region. Topographically, the sigmoid colon and the left ureter are projected in this part. The resulting pain in the left iliac region may indicate the presence of a pathological process in the above organs.
Among the existing pathologies of the sigmoid colon and ureter, the following diseases can cause lower abdominal pain:
- sigmoid diverticulosis,
- irritable bowel syndrome,
- Crohn's disease,
- intestinal obstruction
- sigmoid cancer,
- urolithiasis disease.
Inflammation of the sigmoid colon. According to statistics, sigmoiditis is more common than inflammatory lesions of other parts of the intestine. This is primarily due to the structure of the sigmoid colon, in the depth of which are located the physiological sphincters and natural curves. The latter make it difficult for the intestinal contents to move through it, which, in turn, leads to a stagnation of the feces. All this contributes to inflammation of the sigmoid colon, where the main symptom of sigmoiditis is pain in the left ileum.
In addition to pain, sigmoiditis is manifested by a change in the nature and frequency of stool, as well as a violation of the general condition.
A disease in which pathological sacciform protrusions are formed in the wall of the sigmoid colon - diverticula.
The main predisposing factors for diverticulosis are:
- constipation due to increased consumption of flour dishes and meat or due to a decrease in the amount of plant foods in the diet,
- plentiful gas formation,
- long-term use of laxative drugs
- transferred intestinal infections (for example, dysentery).
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
The complex of functional digestive disorders in the intestine, lasting more than three months.This disease is characterized by a violation of contractions of the muscular wall of the intestine, chronic abdominal pain and bloating. In this case, the disease is not associated with organic lesion of the intestine itself.
Chronic inflammatory disease affecting any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Crohn's disease is characterized by granulomatous lesions in the form of transverse cracks and deep ulcerations. Most often the disease involves the intestines, in particular the terminal section of the small intestine and the large intestine, in the inflammatory process. In this case, the patient has severe pain in the lower abdomen on the left, nausea, vomiting, there is a violation of the chair in the form of diarrhea, there is a sharp loss in weight. Common symptoms of the disease are increased body temperature, fatigue and weakness.
A syndrome characterized by partial or complete disruption of the movement of intestinal contents in the direction from the stomach to the rectum. The main cause of intestinal obstruction is the motor dysfunction of a particular section of the intestine or a mechanical obstruction that interferes with the passage of fecal masses. In case of intestinal obstruction, the patient usually complains of bouts of cramping abdominal pain (most often on the left). There is also a delay in stool and gas, bloating and asymmetry of the abdomen, repeated vomiting.
Malignant tumor, developing from the cells of the mucous membrane of the sigmoid colon. The risk factors contributing to the development of sigmoid cancer include hereditary predisposition, the presence of chronic inflammatory diseases of the large intestine (for example, diverticulosis, Crohn's disease), sedentary lifestyle, abuse of alcohol and nicotine. In the initial stages of the disease, as a rule, asymptomatic.
The first manifestations of sigmoid cancer are:
- pain in the left iliac region,
- dyspeptic disorders (eg belching, nausea, vomiting),
- intestinal disorders (for example, bloating, unstable chair),
- the presence of pathological impurities in the fecal masses (for example, pus, blood streaks).
A disease in which the organs of the urinary system are affected, in particular the kidneys, the bladder, the ureters. When urolithiasis in the above organs concrements are formed from acid residues (the stones) of different sizes, shapes and textures. The formation of stones occurs due to metabolic disorders, as well as in the presence of a predisposing factor.
Predisposing factors for urolithiasis include:
- unhealthy diet (for example, excessive consumption of spicy and acidic foods),
- lack of vitamins entering the body with food,
- bone injuries and skeletal diseases (for example, osteoporosis, osteomyelitis),
- chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (eg, peptic ulcer, gastritis, colitis),
- other diseases of the urinary system (for example, pyelonephritis, prostatitis).
Why do men have pain in the lower abdomen on the right?
Most often, pain in the lower abdomen on the right indicates the presence of acute appendicitis. It is in the right iliac region that the vermiform process is topographically projected, the inflammation of which causes acute pain in a person. In this case, the pain syndrome is often accompanied by nausea, vomiting and fever.
Also, lower right abdominal pain may occur due to the following pathologies:
- Crohn's disease,
- urolithiasis disease.
Inflammation of the small intestine. The disease is most common in men between the ages of twenty and forty years. In most cases, the occurrence of ileitis is associated with the penetration of pathogenic microorganisms into the body (bacteria, viruses, worm infestations).
The following symptoms are characteristic of acute ileitis:
- pain in the right iliac region,
- frequent (up to twenty times a day) loose stools.
Chronic nonspecific disease of the gastrointestinal tract. For Crohn's disease, a granulomatous inflammatory process is characteristic, which can be formed in any part of the digestive system. With the defeat of the initial part of the colon, the patient has severe pain in the right iliac region. In addition, characteristic symptoms are also diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, fever.
A disease in which stones are formed in the organs of the urinary system. In the presence of stones in the right ureter, the patient feels dull aching pain in the lower abdomen to the right. As the stones move along the ureter, pain usually passes into the groin area, then to the genitals. Along with renal colic, hematuria is observed in a patient with urolithiasis, as well as nausea and vomiting.
What are the most common causes of lower abdominal pain in men?
The most common cause of causing lower abdominal pain in men is prostatitis. Prostatitis is an inflammatory process that forms in the prostate gland. To date, prostatitis is detected in almost every third man between the ages of twenty and fifty years.
The existing causes of prostatitis can be divided into two groups:
- infectious causes - caused by various bacteria, viruses or fungal diseases,
- non-infectious causes - causes leading to stagnation of prostate secretion (for example, a sedentary lifestyle, reduced immunity, hypothermia).
- intense lower abdominal pain
- urinary disorder (painful, speeded up, difficult),
- minor discharge from the urethra.
Causes of lower abdominal pain in the leg in men
Abdominal pain, giving way to the leg may occur due to the following diseases and pathological processes:
- urolithiasis disease,
- inguinal hernia,
When urolithiasis in the urinary tract occur abnormal formation, called calculus (stones). However, their size, shape and texture is different. In one case, the stones settle in the kidney and continue to grow, in the other they use the neighboring organs (ureters) and they are trying to leave the body. In the event that the stone is small, it easily passes through the ureter and into the bladder, then moving further through the urethra is removed from the body. If the stone is larger and it manages to go from the kidney to the ureter, then it is usually stuck there. Obstruction of the ureter, in turn, leads to accumulation of urine, due to which there is a stretching of the capsule of the kidney, manifested by renal colic. This pain is localized in the back and spread to the lower abdomen, scrotum, and the inner surface of the thigh.
Nonspecific inflammatory disease of the appendix of the cecum. The main cause of appendicitis is occlusion of the appendix, which is preceded by various factors (for example, spasm of the colon, fecal stones).Appendicitis is considered the most common surgical disease. The main signs of an acute appendicitis are reduced to the presence of pain in the right iliac region. However, at first pain diseases may appear in other parts of the abdomen (for example in the epigastric region). Pains in acute appendicitis differ in their variety - from aching moderate intensity to cutting strong. In addition to pain in acute appendicitis, an increase in body temperature of up to thirty-eight and a half degrees can occur. However, it often remains normal. Also symptoms of acute appendicitis are nausea and vomiting.
Clinical manifestations of appendicitis largely depend on the localization of the appendix in the abdominal cavity and its relationship with the parietal peritoneum. For example, in the retrocecal position, the appendix is located behind the rectum. In this case, the pain is felt in the lumbar region and lower abdomen and radiates (gives awaya) in the perineum, external genitals, right leg.
Violation of the integrity of the aponeurotic wall and protrusion of the peritoneum, sometimes together with internal organs (for example, intestines, large omentum) through the wide inguinal canal. The main factor provoking the emergence of an inguinal hernia is the anatomical feature of the abdominal wall, in which the muscular aponeurotic layer is poorly developed. Clinically, the disease manifests itself as a swelling in the groin or scrotum, and the resulting protrusion has no clear boundaries. Also marked by its painlessness during palpation. A complication of a hernia is its incarceration, which occurs as a result of muscle contraction. With a strangulated hernia, the patient has pain in the groin, radiating (surrender) in leg. The disease can also manifest a feeling of discomfort and burning in the groin, constipation and frequent urination, nausea and belching.
It is characterized by isolated inflammation of the sigmoid colon. Sigmoiditis can occur on the background of other inflammatory diseases or occur as a separate process. In either case, the main predisposing factor for the development of the inflammatory process is the anatomical structure and functional features of the sigmoid colon. The structural feature of the sigmoid colon is its tortuosity, and its main function is the final formation of fecal masses. All this creates prerequisites for the occurrence of inflammation.
The main symptoms of sigmoiditis are:
- pain in the left iliac region, which is intense, often irradiating (giving away) in the leg or lower back,
- change in the frequency and nature of the stool - frequent urge to stool, diarrhea, less constipation,
- general tiredness
- loss of appetite
- weight loss.
Why can there be nagging pain in the lower abdomen in men?
The main cause of pulling pain in the lower abdomen in men is prostatitis. Prostatitis is considered a common disease throughout the world. It is characterized by an inflammatory lesion of the prostate gland. The prostate gland, also known as the prostate, is located below the bladder. This is a purely male organ, which is a tubal-alveolar gland of external secretion. The main function of the prostate gland is to develop a special secret that is part of the sperm.
All existing causes of prostatitis can be divided into two large groups:
- non-communicable causes
- infectious causes.
- reduced immunity
- sedentary, sedentary lifestyle,
- alcohol abuse
- prolonged sexual abstinence.
The infectious causes of the inflammatory process in the prostate gland include:
- sexually transmitted infections (for example, gonorrhea, chlamydia),
- chronic infectious diseases of the urinary system,
- inflammatory processes in other organs (for example, inflammation of the tonsils, maxillary sinuses, kidney disease).
The main symptom of prostatitis is a pulling pain in the lower abdomen. In this case, the irradiation (reflectiona) pain can be very diverse. Pain can be given to the lower back, lower back, groin area, scrotum, anus.
Why do men have pain in the lower abdomen during or after intercourse?
The main cause of lower abdominal pain in men during or after intercourse are diseases of the urinary organs:
- sexually transmitted diseases
- prostate adenoma.
With prostatitis (prostate inflammation) and prostate adenoma (sound educationa) pain during or after intercourse may be localized in the groin and lower abdomen.
It should also be noted that the pain may develop due to the fact that the man is allergic to certain types of contraceptives. For example, latex condoms or the use of spermicides by a woman can trigger the development of an allergic reaction in a man, which will be manifested by itching, burning and soreness of the penis.
Why does a man have pain in the lower abdomen after eating?
The development of a man's lower abdominal pain after eating may indicate irritable bowel syndrome.
This syndrome is characterized by a functional bowel disorder. The exact cause leading to the development of irritable bowel syndrome has not yet been identified. It is known that stress is a predisposing factor for its development. The exacerbation of the clinical signs in a man is observed as a result of emotional overstrain and the intake of certain foods (for example, fatty foods, drinking alcohol, caffeine abuse and overeating). These factors contribute to increased intestinal motor activity.
In irritable bowel syndrome, a man may experience the following symptoms:
- abdominal pain,
- frequency change (rare or frequent) and character (liquid or tighta) a chair
- straining during the act of defecation,
- unproductive urge to defecate,
- presence of mucus in feces.
If necessary, a man may be prescribed antispasmodic drugs, antidepressants, anti-diarrheal drugs.
Factors affecting the negative process
Why the lower abdomen hurts, we will now help you figure it out. There are various reasons for serving such a symptom as pain.
Renal colic is accompanied by intense spasm - unbearable, strong, giving into the groin and lower abdomen. Consider everything in order.
- Prostate, seminiferous tubules and vesicles, testicles, kidneys, pyelonephritis, cystitis, bladder cancer, urethritis.
- Sexual sphere.
- Gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract).
- Neurological diseases.
- Neoplasms of the reproductive system.
As you can see, there can be a lot of reasons and only a doctor will make a specific diagnosis. Now let's look at the characteristic pain in the lower abdomen for each separately.
Pyelonephritis (pyelos nephros). Urological disease, accompanied by inflammation in the pelvis and kidney tubules. Infection penetrates the circulatory system.
Symptoms: high temperature - 38 ° C, migraine, fatigue, weakness and body aches (fever), pain in the lower abdomen, extending into the groin and increasing with walking, vomiting, lack of appetite, discoloration of the urine, urination difficult.
- Medication - Amoxicillin, Penicillin, Cefalexin, Cefaclor, Amikacin, Gentamicin, Levofloxacin,
- Therapy is permanently monitored by doctors,
- It is often necessary to defend the need, not to overcool the body, keep your feet warm.
Concrements in the kidney (urolithiasis). They are formed in violation of metabolism.
- Lack of vitamins in the diet, poor lifestyle and nutrition.
- Harmful substances affecting the body, poor ecology.
- Genetic location.
- Abnormal structure of the urinary system.
- Chronic infectious diseases.
With the passage of the stone pain in the groin, extending into the lower abdomen and the place where the calculus moves, becomes burning painful, nausea and vomiting may occur, and often the temperature rises.
The patient must be urgently put to bed, give a painkiller (“Revalgin”, “Cistenal”, “No-shpa”, “Baralgin”).
Treatment: band surgery to remove stones, laparoscopy, shock-wave lithotripsy.
Cystitis (κύστις). Urological inflammatory disease of the bladder mucosa. Causes: hypothermia, internal endocrine and hormonal disruptions, injuries during cystoscopy, poor immunity, congestion in the pelvis.
Symptoms: frequent urination, pulling pain in the groin and lower abdomen, temperature up to 37.5 - 38 ° C, burning during bowel movements, vomiting, feeling of incomplete emptying.
Therapy: diet, physiotherapy, physiotherapy, drug - "Nolitsin", "Monural", "Nitroxolin", "Rulid", "Palin", "Furagin", "Furadonin".
The sexual sphere of the male body
Diseases that can cause lower abdominal pain:
Inflammation of the prostate gland (prostatitis, adenoma). A common disease of the genital area of men who have stepped over the 40th frontier.
Symptoms: pain in the scrotum and lower abdomen, burning and cramping with the release of the urinary bladder, fever, frequent urging and going to the toilet, it is difficult to completely empty the bladder, rapid ejaculation or lack of it, problems with potency and in the intimate sphere.
Treatment: physiotherapy, exercises, drugs - “Afala”, “Vibramitsin”, “Vitaprost”, “Prostamol”, “Tavanic”, “Focusin”, “Digran”, “Unidox Soluteb”.
Prostate cancer. Malignant formation of the epithelium of prostate tissue. Causes: hormonal disorders and endocrine disorders (diabetes mellitus), male menopause, advanced age, heredity.
Symptoms: frequent urinary excrement, pain in the groin and lower abdomen, changes in the color of the urine, hematuria, in the presence of metastases (stage 4), the pain spreads to nearby organs, malaise, drastic weight loss.
Treatment: surgery, chemotherapy and hormone therapy, cryotherapy, radiosurgery.,
Vesiculitis, orchitis and torsion of testicles.These diseases in men often have common symptoms and are accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, scrotum, their increase in size, high fever, weakness, migraine, blood impurities in the semen.
Treatment: anti-inflammatory therapy, bed rest in the first days, broad-spectrum antibiotics - Augmentin, Amoxicillin, Ampicillin, Levofloxacin.
Gastrointestinal tract (GIT)
Pain in the lower abdomen in men can be a manifestation of such pathological processes and ailments:
Chronic constipation, intestinal invagination. Symptoms: abdominal pain, obstruction of fecal masses and gas, bloating, colic, feeling of heaviness and not emptying of the intestines. Treatment: use of enemas, suppositories, laxatives - Dufalac, Bisacodil, Guttasil, Castor oil, Kruschin syrup.
Granulomatous enteritis. This inflammatory disease manifests itself by the defeat of all parts of the gastrointestinal tract. Causes: heredity, failure of immunity, bacterial infections.
Symptoms: bloating, lower abdominal pain, sharp weight loss, vomiting, poor appetite, diarrhea. Treatment: Sulfasalazine, Mesalazine, Prednisolone, Ciprofloxacin, Metronidozole, Vitamin B.
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). The main cause of the disease is considered stress, neurological disorders.
Symptoms: pain in the lower abdomen turning into the groin, cramps, flatulence, alternating stools - constipation or diarrhea (diarrhea). Treatment: diet, drugs (Smecta, Duphalac).
Inguinal hernia, colon cancer. This is a small list that can answer the question, why does it hurt your lower abdomen?
The sequence of actions that need
- With a sharp and sudden acute pain, it is imperative that you lay it on an even patient.
- Make a shot - No-shpa, Papaverin, Spazmalgon.
- Call an ambulance, especially if the spasm in the right side of the abdomen, it can mean an inflammation of the appendix and prevent its rupture.
- Before the arrival of doctors, put a warming in place of pain.
- Do not give food and water. If your lips are dry, moisten with liquid.
Anti-pain medications - antispasmodics:
Treatment is prescribed only by a doctor; all dosages of drugs should not be exceeded in order to avoid side effects. To find out what the cause of pain in the lower abdomen requires a complete examination and diagnosis.
Therefore, do not delay the trip to the urologist, surgeon or nephrologist. Subscribe to our site. Be healthy!